DOLPHIN DIGEST 1/26/20
Community Newsletter for Arleta School
Traducción disponible Vaya al final del boletín y haga clic en el botón de traducción.
Dịch có sẵn Chuyển xuống cuối bản tin và nhấp vào nút dịch.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Jan. 27: NO SCHOOL Teacher Planning Day (No Bread Day)
- Jan. 28: Community Meeting on New Principal Search | 6:30
- Feb. 3: Bread Day | 2:30
- Feb. 10: Bread Day | 2:30
- Feb. 11: PTA Meeting | 6:00
- Feb. 17: NO SCHOOL
- Feb. 17: HENRY HIGGINS DINE-OUT (enjoy some bagels during this no school day!)
- Feb. 21: FREE Family Movie Night | 6:00
COMMUNITY MEETING ON NEW PRINCIPAL SEARCH 1/28
As a reminder, John Horn will stay on as principal through the end of the school year.
Dear Arleta Families,
I am happy to report that our master schedule (K-8) has been reconfigured and will begin tomorrow at the start of the second semester. This required many hours of work and would not have been possible without the input and flexibility of our teachers. We made every attempt to honor student requests regarding middle school electives and for the most part students received what they asked for. Middle school students will receive their schedules tomorrow in first period.
Here are some highlights about the new schedules:
All 6-8 students will meet the state requirements for Health and Physical Education (PE) classes. An additional half time teacher was provided by the district to help us meet these requirements.
We were able to reduce large class sizes for our 7th grade Language Arts and Common Core math classes.
We have added a popular Art elective option for 6-8 students.
K-5 classes will meet the district requirements for instructional minutes for every subject.
Thank you to our teachers, and especially our Assistant Principal Britt Kuether, for your hard work to develop this schedule.
On another note, the deep cleaning that was promised for the building has occurred! Halls have been buffed, nooks and crannies needing attention have been cleaned and bathrooms have been steam cleaned. The building looks and feels much better.
Hi Arleta Families!
The counseling team would like to update you on a couple of things.
Lunch Bunches - Every day of the week we have assigned a grade to be able to come and eat lunch in the counseling office. This provides a quieter space to eat lunch and sometimes enjoy a card game and then head back to class with the rest of their classmates. Please see lunch bunch details below:
Monday - Kindergarten and 1st graders
Tuesday - 2nd graders
Wednesday - 3rd graders
Thursday - 4th graders
Fridays - 5th graders
GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) Update: We have also adjusted the GSA meeting time to meet on Wednesdays during middle school lunch. If your child participates in GSA they will be coming home with a permission slip for February, 20th to be able to attend the GSA Summit. This is an annual conference that focuses on empowering students who participate in other GSA's across the district.
As always, please feel free to contact your School Counselors with any questions and/or concerns.
Allison List & Samantha Lannom
TAKE THE PPS SUCCESSFUL SCHOOL SURVEY
PPS conducts an annual survey of families to help understand your experience as a parent/guardian and to help set the future of PPS schools.
The survey takes about 15-20 minutes from a computer, tablet or smartphone. If you have a child at more than one PPS school, you can take the survey for each school. Need help? Contact Alexis in the office - firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for the survey: https://surveys.panoramaed.com/portlandor/ppsfamily/surveys?language=en
SPRING ULTIMATE FRISBEE LEAGUE
Current and future Arleta parents & guardians, please come to the Community Meeting this Tuesday the 28th at 6:30 in the cafeteria to learn about the PPS process for hiring a new principal and to share your input about the needs of Arleta. If you can't be there in person, there is an online survey option: https://www.pps.net/Page/2162
Our next dine-out is scheduled at Henry Higgins on Feb. 17 (President's Day/No School Day). Stock up on bagels, enjoy some breakfast or lunch and support Arleta PTA. Henry Higgins is generously donating 15% of sales that day!
Thank you for supporting the Arleta PTA!
SAFETY REMINDER: 20 IS PLENTY
Click the buttons below for Kellogg & Franklin updates...
NO COST WAYS TO SUPPORT ARLETA
The Arleta PTA participates in THREE no-cost shopping rewards programs - Fred Meyer Community Rewards, AmazonSmile and Bottle Drop.
1. By linking your Fred Meyer Rewards card to the Arleta PTA and scanning your rewards card when you shop, a percentage of your purchase goes to the PTA. Sign up here. (And you'll still get your cash back rewards!)
2. Amazon has a similar program, called AmazonSmile. Select "Arleta School PTA" as your charitable organization to receive donations when you shop Amazon. Once you sign up, just go to smile.amazon.com to do your usual Amazon shopping. While there is no app, you can create a shortcut on your phone by going to smile.amazon.com in your browser, tap the Share button, then tap Add to Homescreen.
3. Donate your redeemable cans and bottles to Arleta through Bottle Drop. Grab a blue bag from the school office and FILL it up then take it to a Bottle Drop site, OR email email@example.com and someone will come pick it up. (Arleta pays a fee for the bags, so let's fill them to the top!)