SCCS Home Bulletin
December 6, 2023
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
Happy Wednesday, Trailblazers!
Let’s continue with our series Reformed: Doubling Down. We’ll wrap up the Reformed distinctive that God Communicates. Last time, we focused on how God communicates through the testimony of the Spirit. This time, let’s focus on the Reformed perspective’s high view of Scripture.
The Reformed perspective believes:
- The Bible is infallible, which means “unfailing”. It is completely reliable, so we can fully trust it to guide us in our beliefs and our life.
- The Bible is sufficiently clear so that untrained believers can understand its message well enough to be saved and to grow in their faith by reading it. We are not dependent on theologians and Bible scholars, even though they are very helpful. Personal and family Bible reading, study, and meditation are important disciplines for everyone.
- The Bible alone is our rule. Only teachings found in the Bible, not those added by church leaders or church tradition, guide us in what to believe and how to live. Everything must stick with and be corrected by what Scripture itself clearly teaches.
- The Bible needs to be carefully interpreted. When we misunderstand the Bible’s intent, we’re not hearing God’s Word but rather imposing our own views or the views of others on it.
- The way to understand the Bible properly is to interpret it within context. It’s important to try to understand the actual meaning of the words and the historical situation in which the words and phrases were written down. All the stories of the Bible contribute to its one overarching message that’s summarized for us in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Unless we put that connection front and center to every Bible story we read, we have not fully heard the true message.
The Bible and our perspective of reading it: both so important to the Reformed perspective!
4TH GRADE SERVANTHOOD INTERVIEWS
One of the biblical truths our 4th graders focus on is the truth that God created His image bearers to love and serve one another, and they just completed a Bible unit studying how Christ is the perfect example of how to serve others.
Last week the students interviewed servants they SEE at school each day: Mr. Haan, our cooks, Mrs. Buiter, Donna and Tracy, Nurse Jenny, Mr. Rus, Dr. Bowar, the Tuesday ladies, and Mrs. Tietgen. During their interview, students asked each servant worker what they do for school and if there is any way they, as students, could help them serve our school.
Back in the classroom they shared what they learned from the interviews and discussed how they could FOLLOW God by helping make the jobs easier for those who serve them every day at school.
Finally, they all wrote thank you cards which they will give to the person they interviewed. THANK YOU to our 4th grade teachers, Mrs. Vander Kooi, Mrs. Van Zee, and Mrs. Winter, who designed this experience to help the students be more aware of the many servants around them every day, to show gratitude to them, and live out their classroom storyline: Our deep hope is that we will TRUST God, SEE Him in everything, and FOLLOW Him where He leads us.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Because of an all staff/faculty meeting and Christmas Party, the office will close at 2:20 on Wednesday, Dec. 13.
- There will be no Aftercare on Wednesday, Dec. 13 and Tuesday, Dec. 19.
- There will be no school December 20-Jan. 2 for the Christmas break. Classes will resume on Wednesday, Jan. 3.
- The school office will be closed Dec. 20- Jan. 2 for the Christmas break.
- The TRIP Office will be open from 8:00-1:00 on the following days during Christmas Break: Dec. 20-22, Dec. 29 and Jan. 2. They will be closed Dec. 25-28 and Jan. 1.
There will be no Storyline Chapel today (Wed. Dec. 6). You are welcome to attend our Christmas chapel on Tuesday, December 19 at 1:30. You may also join our livestream (and recording) at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/livestream.cfm
PARENT VISIT DAYS
We value the partnership between our parents and school! We want to invite you into the school so you can experience what’s happening in the classroom. Each grade level will be hosting a Parent Visit Day again this year. You are invited to join us for some time in the classroom and Pizza Ranch pizza on us!
1st Grade visit day will be Friday, Dec. 8. Join us at 10:15 in the band room followed by by a classroom visit and a Pizza Ranch Lunch. Looking forward to seeing you!
Below are the dates and times for the other grade level Parent Visit Days this school year. More information will be sent out later.
- Jan. 12 - 11:00 - 6th grade
- Jan. 19 - 11:00 - 5th grade
- Feb. 2 - 11:00 - 7th grade
- Feb. 9 - 10:15 - 2nd grade
- Mar. 1 - 10:30 - 3rd grade
- Mar. 22 - 10:45 - 4th grade
- Apr. 4 - 10:00 - Kindergarten
DECEMBER FESTIVE FUN
At SCCS, we keep Christ's birth the focus of Christmas. That will never change! It is also fun to celebrate this season with each other! That's why we invite you to join in Festive Fun in December. Here’s the plan:
- Friday, December 8: Cozy flannel day – wear warm PJs and flannel!
- Friday, December 15: Ugly or not-so-ugly sweaters – wear your Christmas attire!
- Tuesday, December 19: Red and green – dress the colors of Christmas!
Wear your good-natured sweaters, light necklaces, flannel, colored apparel – whatever you already have! Hats that go with the theme are OK. Parents, we ask that you carefully discern the appropriateness of student festive apparel as we seek to celebrate with each other while still keeping the true focus of Christmas on Christ’s birth. Also, all clothing should still fit the school dress code. Merry Christmas!
5TH-8TH CHORAL CONCERT
You are invited to the Sioux Center Christian School Christmas Choral Concert on Tuesday, December 12 at 7:00pm at Centerpoint Church. This concert will feature our 5th-8th grade choirs, who will be singing songs from Christmas movies, songs in other languages, the Christmas classics and will also include instruments, duets, and solos. A freewill offering will be received for our music department.
We have had some people ask if there would be a Christmas program for TK-4. We rotate between a Christmas program and a spring program. This year will be a spring program on March 11.
IMPACT OUR TREASURED STUDENTS
Did you know you can give a gift in which you get 75% of the gift BACK?!
This is possible when you give to NICSTO, an Iowa School Tuition Organization. Any Iowa taxpayer (or S-Corp, LLC, Estate, Trust, or C-Corp) can make a gift in which 100% is directed to Sioux Center Christian School students, but 75% of your gift comes back to YOU as an Iowa TAX CREDIT certificate - deducts right off your Iowa income tax bill!
As parents, you may donate to NICSTO for the income tax benefits even if your students receive a NICSTO grant!
To learn more about this giving opportunity, head to https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/supportsccs/nicsto.cfm
Forms are available online and by the TRIP window. We encourage you to give by this Friday, December 8, but we can receive gifts until our goal is met. Please contact Paul Ross, director of development, if you have any questions about NICSTO (firstname.lastname@example.org // 712.541.1707)
Sioux Center Christian School invites you to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through the following positions with a start date of August 1, 2024. The ideal candidate loves God, loves kids, and loves learning. Interested applicants should complete the faculty application package, located at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/employment.cfm A review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- 2nd Grade (Full-time)
- 3rd Grade (Full-time) - 2 positions
- Art/5-6 Life Skills (Full-time)
KITCHEN (PART-TIME) : Looking for someone to join our Kitchen crew from 9:00-2:00 Monday through Friday to help with setting up the line, serving food and clean up. Job applications are available on the SCCS website. https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/employment.cfm
CUSTODIAL CLEANING CREW HELP WANTED: Looking for hardworking independent high school students or adults to fill openings on the SCCS after school custodial cleaning crew. Flexible after school/evening hours available. Contact Eileen Buiter 712-578-8624. Job applications are available on the SCCS website. https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/employment.cfm
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
REMIND TEXT WEATHER ALERTS
We will be using the Remind system again for our weather alerts so that you can receive a text. We will also be posting on Bloomz.
If you would like to sign up to receive a text alert, please text the information below (depending on your last name) to 81010. We need to be a little creative to still use the free account. 😊
Last Name A-D: text @sccsa-d to 81010
Last Name E-K: text @sccse-k to 81010
Last Name L-P: text @sccsl-p to 81010
Last Name Q-T: text @sccsq-t to 81010
Last Name U-V: text @sccsu-v to 81010
Last Name W-Z: text @sccsw-z to 81010
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact the school 24 hours in advance of when you would like to eat. The cost for a lunch is $5.00 and can be paid as you go through the lunch line. Thank you!
Currently there is information for:
- Western Wolfpack AAU Volleyball
- UPDATED - Unity Christian Volleyball - AAU Tryouts Signup and Information
- Wolfpack Wrestling Camp
- Riptide Youth Wrestling Registration
- Sioux Center Rec and The Arena Basketball Club Skills Camp
Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.
UNITY SPRING SHOW AUDITIONS FOR 3RD-5TH GRADERS
This year Unity will be producing Little House on the Prairie for our spring show. We would like to invite 3rd-5th graders to audition for the show. We will need both girls and boys as townspeople and children in the school. We are also looking for a “Carrie”. Auditions will be December 6, 3:40-5:00 in the Knight Center. We will take folks in by groups where they will have to read and sing Amazing Grace. For time commitment, we are looking at practicing one day in December for dance purposes, once a week in January, possibly two days a week in February, and the end of February to show time is almost a daily thing. If your child is interested in auditioning, just show up on December 6 between 3:40 and 5:00. If you have any questions please email Janie Van Dyke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE JUMPSTART PATHWAY AT WESTERN CHRISTIAN
You are welcome to attend an informational meeting regarding The JumpSTART Pathway at Western Christian High School on Tuesday, January 16 at 7:00 pm. To learn more about this unique 4-year path, check out the handbook that is attached below.