Guidance Techniques for Teenagers
( 13 years and beyond)
Here are a few tips to help you communicate with your teen:
During this period, teens spend much of the day outside the home — at school or at after-school activities or jobs and with their friends. But it's important to try to talk with your teen every day to share opinions, ideas, and information.
- Make time during the day or evening to hear about your teen's activities; be sure that he or she knows you are actively interested and listening carefully.
- Remember to talk with your teen, not at him or her.
- Ask questions that go beyond "yes" or "no" answers to prompt more developed conversation.
- Take advantage of time during car trips to talk with your teen.
- Make time for sporting and school events, playing games, and talking about current events.