The Paw Print
Bi-Monthly Principal Newsletter ~ Week of March 7, 2021
Welcome to the third trimester! I can hardly believe we are rounding the bend to the end of this school year! We still have a lot to learn, do and enjoy together before the end of the year but we are looking forward to the last trimester with our students and families!
This last trimester brings quite a few activities and events and I want to be sure you have the dates listed below on your calendars now as you finalize spring and beginning of summer plans.
Lastly, as you are aware, the mask mandate for students in California will be lifted beginning at midnight on March 11th. That means that beginning next Monday, March 14th, students will have the option to go with or without their mask indoors. All choices will be respected and honored. I thanked the students last Friday at our morning flag assembly for being such outstanding Brookhaven Bears and for always following the mandates and rules during these last 24 months. I have been so proud of their care for one another in our school community and for always demonstrating what it means to be a Brookhaven Bear. I want to thank you too, parents, for always ensuring your children followed the mandates and protocols. I am grateful that you continued to support us in our efforts to keep school as normal, welcoming, safe and inclusive as possible during this pandemic. Our students have been successful, healthy and happy here at Brookhaven and I continue to be honored to be a part of this wonderful school community. We really are One School, One Community, One Family!
With admiration and appreciation,
Upcoming Events and Calendar
- March 11th - Brookhaven Fund Run!
- March 15th ~ Spring Pictures
- March 31st ~ Sixth Grade Panoramic Picture
- April 7th ~ Open House and PTA General Assoc. Mtg with HSA Awards Ceremony
- April 11th -15th ~ SPRING BREAK
- May 2nd - 27th ~ SBAC (state) Testing for grades 3-6
- June 10th ~ Minimum Day
- June 16th ~ Last Day of School
Brookhaven PTA Jogathon Fund Run ~ 3-11-22
The jogathon run will take place this Friday, March 11th for all students. You classroom teacher will be reaching out with more details but please know that each grade level has been designated a color theme for the run! Feel free to have fun with the color theme, as long as the attire meets our dress code and allows students to be able to run. All students will walk or jog on their assigned track for 30-35 minutes, after a warm up. They will then get an otter pop treat after they run.
As a reminder, here are the grade level colors:
TK - yellow
K - blue
1st & Kish - purple
2nd - orange
3rd - light blue or teal
4th - red
5th & Martin - green
6th - black
Positive Office Referrals
Child Care Registration for the 2022-23 School Year
Brookhaven PTA on Instagram!
OCTA Free Youth Bus Passes
Orange County Takes Free Public Transit Leap With ‘Permanent’ Youth Bus Passes
In a region of 3.2 million residents, young people ages 6 to 18 years old can ride the public buses for free in Orange County – anywhere and anytime the buses run – for the foreseeable future.
It follows Orange County transit officials unanimously voting Monday to permanently keep their Youth Ride Free program, which started last September, by incorporating it into their policy around bus fare – rates aren’t expected to increase, as state money subsidizes the free rides.
OCTA officials are recommending that youth apply for the pass through their individual school. But parents can also fill out a request form on the agency’s website or can visit the OCTA Store at 600 S. Main St. in Orange.
Brookhaven PTA News
We continue to thank our PTA Board and ALL our parent volunteers that make our school such a great place for our kids to learn and grow!
- We have a few Board positions open for the upcoming 2022-23 school year, including Board President, Treasurer, Reflections Coordinator, Yearbook, Family Nights and Funky Friday. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you're interested or have questions.
- Please click here to join our fabulous PTA! Brookhaven PTA membership is open to everyone ~ students, parents, grandparents, alumni and supporters. Your membership helps fund school assemblies, book fairs, field trip transportation, classroom supplies, library books and more!
We are very fortunate to have a dedicated, hardworking and generous PTA at Brookhaven! We have PTA President this year, Mrs. Traci Larson! If you are interested in being a part of our PTA and committees throughout the year, please get in touch with Traci here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance and Health Reminders
- School starts at 7:50 each day and students are expected to be on their assigned playground by 7:45 am. We close the gates promptly at 7:50 am each day. Students arriving after that time will need to go through the office to check in prior to going to their classroom and will be marked tardy. Please plan accordingly each morning to ensure that students arrive on time, no later than 7:45 am, ready to learn. As a reminder, the gates open at 7:35 each morning.
- Students should have all of the materials necessary for each day including homework, lunches, water bottles and, if applicable, their musical instrument. Students are learning about responsibility and accountability when it comes to these items, so we encourage parents to NOT drop off forgotten items. All students are able to receive a school lunch for free; they just need to order one with the daily lunch count. If homework or instruments are forgotten, it is a valuable lesson learned for students that, typically, doesn't happen again.
- If your child is sick or has symptoms of Covid, they should not attend school
- You must call the school attendance line to report all absences
- Please leave specific details of your child's symptoms and we'll notify you of their return date
- Please review the Student Symptom Tree to help guide you with questions regarding Covid symptoms and next steps
Thank you for wearing your mask each time you enter the school office or any school building. We appreciate everyone's diligence in completing the daily "Shared Responsibility" in checking for symptoms and keeping students home when they are ill. Together we'll make it through the year in keeping everyone healthy and well. Being back together in person is so wonderful!
On-Going Mitigating Measures
- Shared Responsibility Symptom Screening should be done daily prior to the arrival of school. If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay home.
- Everyone will wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are optional outdoors.
- Handwashing stations are located around campus and hand sanitizer is located at the entrance of every classroom.
- Good hygiene habits will be taught and encouraged.
Helpful and Important Links
Online Data Confirmation ~ This MUST be updated for all students.