Transforming lessons from "blah" to "ta-da!"
Digging Deeper Into Digital Integration At OHE
What Did Our Pre-Inservice Survey Reveal?
Do you know what the acronym SAMR stands for?
SAMR, Bloom's Taxonomy, DOK & the 4Cs
Guiding Questions for Applying SAMR in your lessons:
What learning task will students complete?
Is the task teacher-centered or student-centered?
Can a tech tool enhance or transform the learning task?
Am I comfortable with the tech skills needed to teach my students?
SAMR's Many Metaphors! Which one resonates with you?
SAMR...The Coffee Metaphor
SAMR - The Ladder Metaphor
SAMR...The Pool Metaphor (My Personal Favorite!)
Belly Flop, Cannonball or Perfect Diving Form? We All Need Our Floaties
Tool Set, Skill Set or Mind Set
Examples of "S", "A", "M" and "R"
Original Assignment : A hand written paper.
- Substitution: A word processor instead of the typewriter or pen and pencil.
- Augmentation: Technology now allows for the word processor to have a spell check or even a thesaurus.
- Modification: Students can now write in a collaborative manner on the same document using Google Docs
- Redefinition: The word processing document becomes something totally new, as students create videos or web pages relating information that may have been typed.
Original Assignment: An overview of a location consisting of hand written content supplemented with compiled cut-and-pasted magazine clippings.
- Substitution: Use presentation software (like Powerpoint or Prezi) to construct a presentation providing information about a selected locale.
- Augmentation: Incorporate interactive multimedia – audio, video, hyperlinks – in the presentation to give more depth and provide more engaging presentation.
- Modification: Create a digital travel brochure that incorporates multimedia and student created video.
- Redefinition: Explore the locale with Google Earth; seek out and include interviews with people who have visited the local.
Let's Get Real - SAMR In The Day To Day Of Your Classroom
Raising The Level of "S" Level Web/iPad Apps
- How can we raise the level of single use or "drill and kill" apps?
- If possible, use the teacher dashboard to discuss outcomes with students.
- Use checklists and questions to add accountability to these apps.
- Narrow the scope of each student's visit in multipurpose apps like Prodigy, and provide instruction to make their time with it more instructive.
Finding SAMR in Weekly Routines & Independent Small Groups
- Digital Journaling
- Student Blogging
- Video Responses & Reactions (Seesaw & FlipGrid)
- Creative Writing (Storybird)
- Digital Flashcards for vocab
Small Projects, Big Results!
Check out ideas at out DLS Padlet - https://goo.gl/mgErZq
Always consider giving students voice and choice! Don't always prescribe the digital tool. Give students the option to demonstrate their learning with their choice of digital tools.
Thank you so much to these sources!
- Image the creation of Dr. Ruben Puentedura, Ph.D. http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog/
- Ocean SAMR - Sylvia Duckworth’s Sketchnote of SAMR in the Ocean http://talktechwithme.com/resources/integration-stations/samr/
- Coffee SAMR image created by Jonathan Brubaker http://techtipsedu.blogspot.com/2013/11/samr-model-metaphor-mistakes.html
- SAMR & Blooms - Kathy Schrock . http://www.schrockguide.net/samr.html
- SAMR Pool - Jaclyn Stevens, M.Ed. https://pllc.fi.ncsu.edu/2015/12/14/a-perspective-on-the-samr-model-erase-the-line-and-swim-laps/
- SAMR Ladder - James Hopkins
- DOK - https://www.fsusd.org/Page/8772