& Eating Disorders
Definition:Body image such as eating disorders is the feeling of having a psychological (mental,emotional) disorders characterized by abnormal eating habits such as anorexia.
How I feel:
I feel that other people should care about their appearance but only to a certain point. Body image and eating disorders are a lot different than what you wear.
Facts on Eating Disorders
- The risk of developing an eating disorder is 50-80% determined by genetics.
- Anorexia is the third most common long-term illness among teenagers.
- Women are much more likely than men to develop an eating disorder.
- Only an estimated five to 15 percent of people with anorexia.
- There are 3 main eating disorders:Anorexia Nervosa, fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, Bulimia Nervosa, the act of binge eating then purging or vomiting, and Binge Eating Disorder, eating until uncomfortably full in one sitting.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
- 85% of those with eating disorders are scared to get help.
- 15% of pregnant women miscarried because of their illness.
- 96.7% of eating disorder specialists believe their patients with anorexia nervosa are put in life threatening situations because health insurance companies refusing to cover treatment.
- Nearly 97% of all kids 10-19 thought themselves of "fat" compared to social media.
5 Steps to Improve Body Image
- You can always exercise.
- Ignore what others say about your appearance.
- Avoid negative comments.
- Replace a negative thought with a positive one.
- Stop comparing yourself to other and what you "think" you should look like.