With Lovely beaches, and lush landscapes
- Location: North Western Caribbean sea, 90 miles south of Cuba and 119 miles west of Haiti and Dominican Republic.
- Weather: Average temperatures of 70°F in winter months, to 80°F in summer months.
- Climate type: Two types, Upland tropical climate on windward side of mountains, and semi arid climate on the leeward side.
- Physical Characteristics: Kingston harbor, The 7th largest natural harbor in the world. Mineral springs, are found in Jamaica, some high in therapeutic value.
How to Fit in
- Languages: Even though english is the official language of Jamaica, Patois is the conversational dialect most often used on a day-to-day basis.
- Folkways: Jamaicans favor eye contact. Considered rude to use first names to address others. Place more emphasis on people rather than a set schedule. Jamaican men are somewhat aggressive towards women.
- Taboos: Women smoking, homosexuality, and witchcraft.
- Mores: White dots on the skin and grey hair on a young person is considered good luck.
Digging Deeper into Culture
- Subcultures:Rastafarian a black youth subculture and religious movement that arouse in the ghettos of Kingston in the 1930s. Christianity is the largest religion in Jamaica.
- Culture Landscape: Good roads and highways were constructed for tourists. Have altered landmarks for tourist attractions.
- Evidence of Culture Diffusion: Speaking English diffused from England colonists.
- Evidence of Culture Change: Speaking with another, you are not supposed to use the others first name, this is primarily related to the older generations.