Your School Counselors
Help YOU and Your Student Start the Day off RIGHT!
See below some tips and tricks:
- Help your student develop responsibility by packing lunches, backpack, and picking out clothes the night before. Place these things in the same spot everyday for quick and easy access
- Have water bottles and snacks pre-filled and pre-packed.
- Establish and create consistent bedtime routines. If your pumpkin is groggy and grumpy every morning, consider pushing his or her bedtime to an earlier time.
- Create an incentive chart at home. Write 5 tasks morning tasks that need to be done and give a check for each one done with a happy heart. X number of checks = a prize on Friday (Be creative! The best prizes cost ZERO dollars).
- Network with your neighbors and create a carpool to help one another out.
- Reward yourself as a caregiver! It is HARD to get the day started. Set your alarm for 20 minutes earlier, get yourself that extra cup of coffee, and give yourself some extra wiggle room for those last minute spills, lost shoes, and crabby babies.
- If it's raining or freezing, bet your boots that all 775 kids are going to be in the car line this morning. Anticipate delays:)
Each month a counselor visits your child in his or her classroom for a Guidance Lesson. Mrs. Jones visits Kindergarten, 2nd, and 4th graders, and Mrs. Zerger visits 1st and 3rd graders. In January, we are talking about diversity and acceptance of others.
February - Anti Bullying
March - Goal Setting
April - Self Awareness
May/June - Career Exploration
P.B.I.S. - Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports
Our PBIS system is still running strong! Your student has an opportunity to earn Eagle Bucks for displaying one of our core, P.R.O.U.D. traits at school. Each six weeks, we celebrate accomplishments, acheivements and good character at our PROUD Crowd! The character traits being recognized this six weeks are Respect and Caring. Next six week traits are Integrity and Trustworthiness.
Ask your child what each letter stands for in P.R.O.U.D.
Reaching Out with Character and Kindness
We will celebrate R.O.C.K. week 2/8-2/12. Click here to learn more information about R.O.C.K.
We have many fun events planned for this week. Flyer coming soon!
R.O.C.K. shirts for SALE! The first Wednesday of each month we will ask students and staff to support the KISD R.O.C.K. initiative by wearing their R.O.C.K. shirts. Student shirts available for purchase until 1/29 by clicking on this link:
Small Counseling Groups
Small counseling groups coming soon! If you would like your student to participate, please contact us and your child's teacher.
Our topics this semester are:
1. divorce/banana splits
3. grief (new group members only due to repeating curriculum)
4. GIRLS ONLY/Self Esteem (3rd and 4th)
5. BOYS ONLY/Friendship/Self Esteem (3rd and 4th)
6. Friendship/Social Skills