NTZB Parent Bulletin
January 21, 2022
Hello New Tech Families,
The start of second semester is a great time to reboot and refresh! New Tech had a very successful first half of our school year. Under trying circumstances, we have maintained in person instruction, provided our students with extracurricular activities, including sports, clubs, after school tutoring and provided our students with support and stability. I am proud of the students and staff’s ability to persevere and look ahead to better days. However, this is the time that I need to ask all parents to stay involved and connected to what is happening with school and their child’s education.
The district has found it necessary to enact a “no hood or hat rule” for all district buildings. I am asking parents to help support our safety efforts by talking with your students about this and monitoring what they are wearing to school each day. I am also urging parents to talk to their students about their coursework and grades from first semester along with their attendance. Now would be the time for students to make up any classes that need to be corrected and make sure they attend school every day and arrive on time! Parent Teacher Conferences will be held virtually on Thursday, February 3, 2022, from 6-8 pm. Parents will have the opportunity to sign up for a ten-minute time slot to zoom with their child’s teacher. Please find the booking link on this parent newsletter! Remember, if your student would like to stay after school for tutoring, we will continue to run our New Tech After Hours program everyday (but Thursdays) until 3:30. Finally, we are currently taking applications for the class of 2026! If you are interested in attending an informational session, we will have 2 more at New Tech on 1/24 and 1/27 from 6:30-7:30 and one at the ZB campus on Tuesday, February 8, 2022. As always, I look forward to creating more great days for our students and staff!
Due to the continued COVID 19 mandates, second semester conferences will again be conducted virtually using Zoom. Use the link and directions below to schedule 10-minute appointments with your child’s teachers between the hours of 6:00 and 8:00 PM. Each teacher has limited time slots available, so please understand you may not be able to schedule appointments with every teacher. However, you can always reach out to our staff, regarding any issues or concerns pertaining to your student, and have a phone conversation or schedule a separate meeting.
- Select a staff member with whom you would like to meet, click on the date (February 3, 2022), and then select your 10-minute time slot.
- Enter your name, email address, phone number, your student’s name, and any special “notes” in the box (N/A if you have none).
- Indicate if you need Spanish Translation services.
- Click “Book.”
- You should receive a confirmation email. Prior to conferences you will also receive another email directly from the staff member you have scheduled a conference with that will include a Zoom link that you will need for the conference.
- Repeat this process for each staff member with whom you would like to meet this evening - please remember each appointment is only 10 minutes.
ILLINOIS 5ESSENTIALS SURVEY
Please complete the annual 5Essentials Survey: Organizing Schools for Improvement. Your participation is vital and provides feedback to the Illinois State Board of Education regarding the following five indicators:
Effective Leaders -- Collaborative Teachers -- Involved Families
Supportive Environments -- Ambitious Instruction
This survey generates valuable data that districts can use to guide their ongoing efforts to improve schools and to offer students an excellent education. The survey is another improvement tool that allows districts and the state to share data as a means to inform parents and community members about the school’s learning environment. (From the ISBE website.)
The SURVEY is now open and will close on March 11, 2022.
INSIDE OUT SPIRIT WEEK
Should you need help immediately regarding a safety related concern about yourself or someone else, please call 911, go to your local emergency room, or use Lake County Text-A-Tip (Text: LAKECO to 844-823-5323).
ON TRACK FOR GRADUATION?
Students identified as not being on track for graduation were contacted this week through Skyward by Mrs. Schuda. These students will need to sign-up for APEX, the district's online credit recovery program. APEX is currently free this semester but usually costs $110 per session (1 credit / 2 classes). If students don’t sign up for APEX 9th hour this semester, they will need to sign up for summer school which may require a fee.
If you are unsure if your student needs to make up credits or if you have additional questions regarding the process, please email Mrs. Schuda (SchudaL@ntzb.org) and she will
be happy to assist in getting them back on track!
IMPORTANT DATES/UPCOMING EVENTS
- Thursday 2/3/22: Parent Conferences - NT@ZB 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- Friday 2/4/22: Compensatory Early Release: NT@ZB 1:35 PM
- Monday 2/21/22: Presidents' Day - No School
- Friday 3/4/22: End of Quarter 3
- Monday 3/7/22: Casmir Pulaski's Birthday Holiday - No School
- Friday 3/18/22: Compensatory Early Release: NT@ZB 1:35 PM
- Monday 3/21/22 -- Friday 3/25/22: Spring Break
- Monday 3/28/22: Classes Resume