April 3rd, 2019
A Note From Our Principal, Mrs. Fadeji
This week has been outstanding. Our students have transitioned nicely back into the swing of things and they are all looking so grown up! This time of year feels so bittersweet as we start to plan for next year while celebrating the growth of the current year. Around this time, we start to visualize our students promoting to the next grade level which will happen in just over 8 short weeks. Can you believe it?!
Sorry to disappoint but there won't be too much sappiness in this Penngrove Press. :) However, I do want to update you on a few things.
- Site Council and Team Penn will be working on a document to share with all of you that highlights results from the parent survey we asked you to take in February. We want to celebrate successes, highlight areas of improvement and also provide some answers to questions that were asked. Be on the lookout for this later this spring!
- Our lifeskill this month is: Trustworthiness. Thank you Master Schafer for coming to so many assemblies this year to give our students pep talks about our lifeskills. Our students really look forward to your stories and advice.
- Mr. Nettell will be back on campus this week! He recently shared an article with our staff that I thought you all might be interested in as well. Study: Kids Who Spend Time in Nature Become Happier Adults For those of you who haven't met Mr. Nettell, he's a true gem! He works with our students 2-3 times a year. Mr. Nettell uses cooperative challenges for students to be engaged in. During these challenges, students build community, learn teamwork, improve their stamina and celebrate successes and failures. During Mr. Nettell's visits, teachers are provided with professional development in the area of social-emotional learning and classroom management. Ask your child over the next couple of weeks how their visit with Mr. Nettell was!
- CAASPP testing starts next week! All 3rd - 6th graders will be participating in state testing next week. Our primary students will be cheering them on as they rock the tests! If you have a 3rd - 6th grade student, please make sure you plan for an early bed time, a big breakfast, a healthy snack and lots of outdoor play time. Thank you in advance!
- Be on the lookout for LOTS of events packed into April and May. Fiesta Familiar, Pasta Feed, Open House, Skate Night, Tri-tip BBQ Drive Thru, 5th/6th Grade Chorus Concerts, and more! Stay up to date by visiting our school calendar on our website.
- Enrollment for 2019-20: Although this time of year is full of change as families move in and out of the area, we are expecting to add a 17th classroom to campus next year. The current YMCA classroom will become a TK-6 classroom (grade level to be determined) and the YMCA will be re-locating to an awesome space in the basement which has been in the works for over a year. More to come in the coming weeks as we finalize enrollment numbers.
One last thing I wanted to share with you all was how much I enjoy Wednesday mornings this year! I started something new after hearing about the idea at a Scholastic Reading Summit in July. I've been rotating through the grade levels and each Wednesday, I keep a different grade level after the assembly for a "play date". During this time, I get to enjoy uninterrupted time with students and our teachers have time to collaborate with our Learning Team (made up of professionals providing interventions and supports to students as needed). It's a great time for our teachers to focus on the needs of their students with some quiet morning work sessions, and the kids and I always have a blast. Today, I had the pleasure of hanging out with 3rd grade. During our play date, we read a few stories, enjoyed yoga and mindfulness activities, learned about children and languages around the world, as well as made signs reminding the rest of our student body about the lifeskill of the month: trustworthiness. I'll drop some pictures in below for your enjoyment.
Wishing you all a wonderful rest of your week!
Lifeskill Winners Wednesday, March 27th
Is all screen time bad?
Talent Show is THIS Sunday! FREE Admission!
Everyone is welcome! NEW VENUE THIS YEAR!
Sunday, April 7th at the Petaluma Vets Building, 1094 Petaluma Boulevard South.
Doors open at 2:40. Show starts at 3pm.
Dine and Donate BEFORE or AFTER at McNear's to benefit 5th Grade Outdoor Ed!
2nd Chance Breakfast Program? Should we?!
Class Placement Reminders!
Just a reminder to...
Intramural Volleyball Winners!
More Intramural Volleyball Winners!
Are you organized? A good communicator?
Can You Help Make Field Day Awesome This Year?
Field Day 2019 is set for May 28th, and the event chair position is available!
Supported by the FOPPTA Board, the Event Chairperson or co- Chairpeople is/are the director(s) of the event. Please take a look at the Event Chair Job Description. If this sounds like you, please complete the Event Chair Interest Form, and we will follow up with you soon. Thank you!
Talent Show Pre-Orders!! Front Row Seats and more!
You can pre-order the following the Talent Show:
- Raffle Tickets for a set of (4) Front Row Seats to the 2019 Talent Show (Winner to be notified Friday, April 5).
- Fresh Flower Bouquets for your performers
- Candy Rose Bouquets
- DVD of the entire Talent Show (relax and enjoy someone else catching those special moments to look back on)
Very important! -- New Liability Waiver
What's with the Liability Waiver in the homework folder?
The liability waiver you sign on Aries will not cover upcoming PTA events. If you do not return a waiver for your child they will not be able to participate in PTA events.
You may not have seen this in the past. Our events have reached a new level of fun, including things like jumpies and obstacle courses. This waiver will allow your child to participate in these fun activities.
We would never add anything that you haven’t already seen at birthday parties and local fun centers. If you have specific concerns, please contact us: email@example.com.
Penngrove Representative Needed!
Petaluma schools' Team for Inclusivity Diversity and Equity (TIDE) is a parent led team exploring how to make our schools more safe, inclusive, and welcoming for all of Petaluma's diverse TK-12 students, families, and staff. We will be discussing topics such as school: environments, culture, communication, events, and curriculum. The group would like to have one or two representatives from each site to attend monthly TIDE meetings and to run a group at each school site.
If you'd like to participate, please email Paige Green ( the amazing woman who organized the group) at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
------CHESS for kids / Ajedrez para Niños-------
Enroll Online: www.chessclubforkids.com
Viernes, Abril 19, 26, Mayo 3, 10, 17, 24 2:50-3:50 $100 a nino ubicación el cuarto hermanos SIEMPRE a medio precio, Becas consideradas
AJEDREZ PARA NIÑOS es una organización sin fin lucrativo dedicada a traer el ajedrez a cuantas personas jóvenes sea posible en el Condado de Sonoma.
No hay reembolsos ni se reponen ausencias ¡Regístrese temprano para asegurar su lugar! Registrese en línea (707) 527-6427
Solo llamaremos si la clase está llena y no podemos aceptar más inscripciones.
No hay reembolsos ni se reponen ausencias Las escuelas de la ciudad de Petaluma no respalda o supervisa las actividades, información o eventos publicados
After School Martial Arts / Artes Marciales Después de la Escuela
Schafer's ATA Martial Arts teaches children to be confident, disciplined, and respectful leaders in our community. Our highly popular after school program is designed to empower kids in a positive and energetic learning environment. Students will receive belts and have opportunities to test for stripes while showcasing their material for families at the end of each session. With over 150 kids in our after school programs, come and check out why they keep coming back for more!
To register, head to our website: https://schafersata.com/programs/just-4-kids/after-school.
ATA Martial Arts de Schafer enseña a los niños a ser líderes confiados, disciplinados y
respetuosos en nuestra comunidad. Nuestro popular programa después de la escuela está
diseñado para capacitar a los niños en un ambiente de aprendizaje positivo y energético. Al
final de cada sesión, los estudiantes recibirán cinturones y tendrán la oportunidad de hacer
pruebas de rayas mientras muestran su material para las familias. ¡Con más de 150 niños en
nuestros programas después de la escuela, venga y vea por qué siguen regresando por más!
Para registrarse, diríjase a nuestro sitio web: https://schafersata.com/programs/just-4-kids/after-school.
12th Annual Westside Band Festival!
ELECTIONS meeting THIS Monday, 4/8 at 6pm!
Nominations were announced at the association meeting on March 4th. If you are a PTA member, you should have received an email with the list of nominations.
Childcare will be provided for this special meeting. Please RSVP (for childcare) by Friday, April 5th to email@example.com.