News of the Week
Solar Eclipse Information
Monday, August 21st
We have a very detailed and specific plan for handling our youngest students viewing the solar eclipse. However, I am going to be very honest, I am super nervous about making sure that everyone wears and keeps their glasses safely on for the eclipse portion.
We will have some helpers, but there are definitely way more kids than adults! I would really, really appreciate if you would remind your child how vital it is that they follow the directions about the glasses and not take them off AT ALL when they are not supposed to. As you know, children at this age can be impulsive and choose their own way, so I want to make sure that we are all talking to them about the eclipse safety rules. See below:
- Look down as you put on the solar glasses
- Once they are on, you may look at the sun
- Do not stare at the sun, even with glasses on
- Look down and remove the glasses
- Glasses can be used for only 3 minutes continuously, so we must take frequent breaks and turn away from the sun
- Please send your child with a hat and towel to sit on, we will be outside for 30 minutes and the hat will provide extra protection/shading.
- Please send an extra snack
- If you wish to attend to monitor your child, you may meet us at 2:15pm by the flagpole.
- If you change your mind and wish to check your child out, you may do so before 2:00pm on Monday. Checkouts will reopen at 3:00pm.
Here are a few reminders for next week:
- Please plan to attend our Curriculum Night on Thursday, August 24th at 6:30pm. We will meet in our classroom.
- The kids are continuing to love their snack time! Ice cream is now available for sale in the cafeteria each day for $1. Please send in just ONE dollar at a time on the day(s) you wish your child to have ice cream. It is difficult for me to keep up with multiple dollars for multiple students.
- Please make sure you order your $7 kindergarten grade level t-shirt! The deadline is August 25th and they cannot be ordered later in the year. There is an order form in Friday Folders this week or you can pay online at My Payments Plus.
- We have had some toys/fidget spinners start making their way to school, please remind your child that all toys should stay at home, we do not want them getting lost!
...Skills We Will Work On Next Week...
Reading & Writing
Science & Social Studies
Reading & Writing
- We are also working on learning how to be a great reader in reader's workshop
- We are learning how to do writer's workshop!