We Are Together Tamanend!
January 4, 2019
Thank You for Reading Our Newsletter!
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fundraiser Kick Off Starts Today
The Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund has been diligently working since 1976 to guide families who have children with illnesses, disabilities or other serious injuries to a better place. After going through the experience of having a chronically ill child herself, Mrs. Dolan created one of the first foundations that helps work to provide these families with stability in such a tragic time. The foundation works tirelessly to help provide these struggling families with financial support in their most dire times of need. Tamanend Middle School has contributed to the Kelly Anne Dolan Foundation through yearly basketball tournaments since 2001, making this year’s annual fundraiser our 19th year of participation. As the foundation grew over the years, so did Tamanend’s help to inform our community of this great cause. Each year more and more students create teams to play in the basketball tournament, and even more bring friends or family along. In 2016, Tamanend raised 27,359 dollars for the foundation. Last year, we topped that with 32,705 dollars; all raised in just one day. In the past 18 years, we have raised a total of 447,310 dollars, making our middle school the top sponsor of the Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Foundation. Our small middle school alone has raised more money for the foundation in that period than any other organization and it is easy to overlook just how much of a difference we can make in people’s lives. Every single dollar Tamanend has raised has made a huge impact on someone’s life, whether we realize it or not.
Join Us for Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend on Saturday, February 23!
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit
Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
Reminder--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for 9th Graders)--January 10
The 2019 Central Bucks High School South Curriculum Fair for all current 9th grade students from Unami Middle School and Tamanend Middle School is scheduled for Thursday, January 10, 2019. Our program will begin at 6:30 PM in the South Auditorium.
The initial portion of the evening will feature a presentation by the Administrative and Guidance Teams regarding graduation requirements, block scheduling, and course planning options. Then, we will move into other areas of the school, where students and parents will have the opportunity to speak with teachers from each of the academic and elective departments, as well as representatives from the Guidance Department, Special Education Department, and Middle Bucks Institute of Technology.
We welcome and encourage all ninth graders and their parents to attend the Curriculum Fair on Thursday, January 10th beginning at 6:30 PM in the Auditorium.
Learn About the New 9th Grade Career Plan
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund Kick-Off Assembly--Friday 1/4 (during school day)
Curriculum Fair at CB South (for 9th Graders & their Parents)--Thursday 1/10 at 6:30 PM
Martin Luther King Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit--Sunday 1/20 4:00 to 7:30 PM at William Tennent High School (see Dr. Caughie to sign up)
Athletic Department Schedule
- 8th grade girls basketball vs. Holicong (Home at 3:15)
- 7th/8th grade Wrestling vs. Holicong (Home at 3:15)
- 8th grade girls basketball vs. New Hope-Solebury (Away at New Hope-Solebury at 3:15); bus leaves at 2:20
- 9th grade boys basketball BLUE vs.Unami (Away at Unami at 5:00); bus leaves at 4:15
- 9th grade boys basketball GOLD vs. Unami (Home at 5:00)
- 7th/8th grade Wrestling vs. Tohickon (Away at Unami; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Update--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 5
Please note that the next meeting of Tamanend Parent Book Club will be held on Tuesday, February 5. The January 10 meeting will be cancelled due to the 9th Grade Curriculum Fair.
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--9th Grade Baby Photos for Yearbook
Dear 9th Grade Parents:
The Tamanend Middle School yearbook advisors will be collecting 9th grade baby pictures for the 2018-2019 yearbook. We are inviting you to include a photo memento in your child’s yearbook that he or she will have as a special reminder in their last year at Tamanend. Submitting your child’s baby picture is a great way to honor them in the yearbook at this special time in his or her life. The cost is $5. If you would like to participate in this milestone experience, please make sure that you follow the steps to upload your photo, fill out the bottom portion of the flyer at this link, and submit order form and payment by Friday January 11, 2019 to Mrs. Gerth in room 231.
**We will NOT be accepting photos that need to be uploaded. All uploading must be done on your own to the site mentioned below. The due date for this optional 9th grade yearbook opportunity is Friday January 11, 2019.
Reminder--Community Connections at Tamanend--January 30
Dear Tamanend Middle School Families,
Please join me in the Tamanend library on Wednesday, January 30 from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. for “Community Connections,” one of a series of parent meetings scheduled to take place in each of our schools.
These meetings are designed to encourage frank conversations about our shared vision for the future of our schools. I hope you can find time to attend; I look forward to hearing your feedback and ideas.
A video introduction can be seen on the website homepage at www.cbsd.org/communityconnections.
I hope to see you on January 30!
John J. Kopicki, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Central Bucks School District
Celebration of Our Schools
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Positive Presentation-Healthy Transitions from Elementary to Middle to High School
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900