April 10, 2017
I hope you had a wonderful weekend! we had beautiful weather this weekend
EOCs begin this week. i know you have prepared our students well and that they will be very successful. Please help to make sure that hallways are very quiet during this week by not releasing students to travel through the hallway unless it is an emergency.
I greatly appreciate all that you do for our kids here at FHN! Have a wonderful week!
- FHN FBLA had several students qualify for national competition.
Congratulations to our students who attended the 4.0 luncheon. Great work over the course of four years.
- Congratulations to FHNToday for picking up their First Amendment Award.
- Congratulations to the Lorraine Smith on winning the Staff-to-Staff Award.
- Congratulations to the FHN Masque Players for their production of Grease. It was awesome.
- Jacob Lintner placed in the competition for National High School Journalism Student of the Year. He is the school’s seventh Missouri state High School Journalist of the Year and third FHN student to place in the national competition, joining Daniel Bodden in 2015 and Kelsey Bell in 2012.
- The Excalibur yearbook was honored category by the National Scholastic Press Association as a Pacemaker finalist in the yearbook category and FHNtoday.com was honors as a finalist in the Online.
- Yearbook adviser Jordyn Kiel was honored by the Journalism Education Association at the convention for being named a 2017 Rising Star. The award is a prestigious one given to advisers in their first five years who have gone above and beyond in the profession.
- As a whole, the staffs nabbed three places in different categories in the Best of Show competition for those schools that attended. In the Newspaper Special Edition category, the North Star placed second. The Excalibur yearbook brought home a sixth place finish in its category and the North Star placed 3rd in the Newsmagazine category.
A few staffers were honored for their work in write-off competitions at the convention. Earning honorable mentions were Jacob Lintner, Joel Boenitz and Dominic Hoscher in the Online News Package competition and Alex Row took home the top spot of Superior in the General/Spot News Photography competition.
On a school level, Francis Howell North was honored on Thursday night as a First Amendment Press Freedom Award winner for the school’s commitment to First Amendment freedoms for the student press. North was one of eleven schools recognized national for this. It’s the eighth straight year the school has earned this distinction.
4/10- 4/13 ELA, Alg 2, and Gov
4/24-4/27 Alg 1 and Bio
EOC Examiner Training
4/5 at 1:35 in Room 113
All EOC teachers must attend
ACT Proctor/Jr Homeroom Training
4/6 at 2:30 in Room 229 OR 4/7 at 6:50 in Room 229
Knights @ 90: FHN currently has 87.42% of students attending 90% of the time.
Climate: The fourth quarter Climate Survey will be out today. Please take a few minutes to fill it out. It's the last one of the year! We appreciate your patience and participation as we have gone through this process this year.
Donuts and Coffee in the LC - April 12th, 6:45 a.m.
The technology committee will be meeting in the main office conference room at 2:30 on 4/12.
STAFF COMMITMENTS--TO BE REVISED
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
- building positive relationships with students and staff members.
- listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
- helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
- being open-minded to new ideas.
- addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
- giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
- counting tardies consistently.