Mrs. Lee's Weekly Update
News for the Week of October 17, 2012
Open House - Thursday, October 18 - 6:00-7:30pm
We will have a drop-in Open House this Thursday for your child to show you around our class and share some things he/she has been working on. Each child will have an Open House TicTacToe that he/she will use to show you highlights of our day. You may also sign up for conferences at this time. Papa Murphy's will be selling pizza and drinks in the atrium, donating a portion of sales to the PTA. Information regarding pizza was sent in an earlier email.
Our Class Store
As an incentive for good behavior and good manners, I have implemented individual banks and a class store. Each day, students have the opportunity to earn play money for their banks by using good manners, doing extra great work, being kind to others, and following directions. On Fridays, kids have a chance to count their money and spend it in the class store. This is a great way to begin identifying and counting money, which is often a difficult task for first graders.
I am asking for some help in donating items for the class store. You don't have to purchase anything...just look around for any item that a child may like: stickers, notepads, small toys, books, candy, etc. Thanks for your help with this!
- Reading Workshop/Shared Reading- comparing and contrasting characters, asking and answering questions about text to help with comprehension
- Writing Workshop- Publishing narratives
- Math Workshop- Problem solving to discover subtraction as an unknown addend problem, relate counting to addition and subtraction
- Science- asking and answering scientific questions to dig deeper
Mark Your Calendars
- October 18- Field trip to Children's Theater in Charlotte, NC
- October 18- Open House 6:00-7:30
- October 26, 29- No School
- November 6- No School for Election Day