Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place For Jaguar Band News
September 23rd - September 29th
UPDATE AT THE END*******
Message From Mr. Lucita
Heads up! Looking ahead!
First Annual Jaguar Jog
Competition Meal Plan Deadline Extended to 9/21
Help Wanted: Game Day Meal Pick Up and Serve
2 Week Practice Schedule
You can still Purchase a Football Program Ad to Celebrate Your Student!
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
How To Sign Up With VIPS District Volunteer Program and Log Hours
Sync Your Calendar
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
From Mr. Lucita
Let’s celebrate another great week!! So many successes this week including the Jag Jog and halftime performance of the first 3 movements of the Jag Band show “Our Journey”. However, don’t worry there is still much more to come as we move forward!
But first, we need to celebrate what a great success the first annual Jag Jog was and recognize the huge effort put in by so many people to help it come together!! Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone involved including Joe Carter, the hard-working parents who helped with organization and promotion, the volunteers that helped man the stations on run day, and “For The Love of Go” who handled the logistics of making this an official 5k/10k event!! Also thank you again to everyone that participated included community runners, visitors and the various Hays CISD campus groups that took part!
Now to look ahead at the upcoming week!! This week the Johnson Jaguar Band will participate in it’s first-ever marching festival!!! The BOA Austin Regional is Saturday, September 28th @ Kelly Reeves Stadium in Round Rock. A detailed schedule will be distributed this week! It is going to be an INCREDIBLE day with INCREDIBLE groups and we are shooting for an INCREDIBLE performance from our Jaguar Band! Please plan to be there and be loud and proud!!
Make sure everyone looks at this weeks calendar, it is different!!! We have a game on Thursday this week and NO Wednesday practice, however, we have our first Friday afternoon practice.
Speaking of this weeks festival we are still working on props!!! There has been an all-call for anyone willing to help build and assemble props for our performance. We will also need volunteers to help us get them on and off the field at the football games and contest! It’s time for our village to come together even more. If you are able to help in either capacity please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call Clover Clamons at 512-468-8319 to volunteer!
Additionally this week are approaching the first 6 weeks progress report. This is not just a simple progress report, this specific report on Friday, September 27th impacts our student's eligibility! We want to make sure everyone is reaching the highest levels of academic success and encourage them to attend tutorials every morning or afternoon to receive any extra assistance that they may need!
WOW what an exciting week we have ahead!!! Let’s go Jag Band!!
Calling ALL Jaguar Band Families!
Monday and Tuesday at 5:30 pm to help build and finish up props for the marching show!
No specific skills required!
We HAVE to have props ready and the more people we have helping, the more quickly we can get this done! We had 9 wonderful people stay after Jaguar Jog to work on this but we still have lots to do!
ALSO, Pit Crew is looking for ROAD SIGNS to decorate a set piece. Really would love anything that says Buda/City of Buda. If you have signs you might be willing to lend, donate or sell to the band, please contact email@example.com or text/call Clover Clamons at 512-468-8319.
Want To Make A Sign Or Big Head To Cheer On Students As They Head To Competition?
We’re planning on making posters for competition send-offs on Tuesday, 9/24 at 5 p.m. in the band hall. The posters can be anything you’d like... your child’s name, nickname, an instrument, Jags or a big head. You can make a sign for your child, for your child's section or a sign cheering on the entire Jaguar Band! The kids don’t care what’s on them as long as we’re there to cheer them on when they leave. If you don’t make a poster, still be there to cheer them on when they drive by.
We plan on meeting in front of Dahlstrom this Saturday for their first competition! The time will be announced on social media once we receive the detailed schedule! Please know that it is typically about 15 minutes before the students depart the school.
Bring your poster boards, glue, tape, markers, stickers and anything you’d like to use. Walmart even has a poster board with a gold border.
If you ordered a big head with your photos you can use that one or pick one up from Walmart or Walgreens. Walgreens has a coupon this week for printing posters 50% off. Use code EVERYTHING at checkout and it will drop the price of a 20x30 poster to $12.
Items needed for big head:
20 x 30 poster/picture. That’s the big one, get any size you’d like.
Hot glue gun... we’ll have a couple
E6000 glue —this is specific
X-acto knife... we’ll have a couple there
Questions about upcoming marching festivals?
Game Day Meals
THANK YOU to the volunteers who helped with game day meals last week!
We still have a few slots on 10/31 and 11/7 available if you are able to help out for future games.
If you don't have a background check filed with Hays as a volunteer, please click below to get it started. The times are subject to change as I figure out when the kids need to be fed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Volunteer Background Check:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer:
You can still purchase a football program ad to celebrate your student!
If you didn't buy an ad and wish you had, you still can!
Future purchases will be featured in the remaining home football games (beginning with 10/10 home game against HAYS HS!). The football programs are also great advertising space. PLEASE share this information with your JHS friends and any business owners you may know! Deadline for 10/10 home game against HAYS HS is Saturday, 10/5.
To order, go to https://www.johnsonbands.com/programads or fill out the form below and either mail it to P.O. Box 333, Buda, TX 78610 or give it to Tracye Mendez, JHS fine arts secretary.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful and Important Reminders For Game Days (UPDATED, PLEASE READ)
- SUMMER UNIFORM: Black band polo, khaki shorts, black belt, short socks, cap, band shoes.
- FULL UNIFORM: Black compression shorts, black band dri-fit, tall socks, band shoes.
- ALL uniform pieces are REQUIRED.
- Please note that different socks are required for Summer vs Full uniform.
- Always pack/store uniform parts back in ONE bag so that it is ready for the next game or competition
- Please refer to email regarding "show hair".
- Students should pack (and be encouraged to use) deodorant. Game days are long and hot!
- Label caps, shoes (initials on the label on the inside of shoes), shirts, shorts, belts (anything they are changing in to and out of). If we find these items we have no way of knowing who to return them to. With so many kids changing and carrying their clothes around, stuff inevitably gets dropped or left behind. Paint pens (these come in all colors including silver or gold which can be seen on black) or Sharpie laundry markers work best for this. Any other pen or marker will rub off.
9/24: 5:00 pm: Sign Making for Competition Send-Offs at Band Hall
9/26: 5:30 pm: Home Game vs Dripping Springs
9/28: 4:00 pm: BOA Austin @ Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex (Cedar Park)
10/4: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Grainger
10/5: 4:30 pm: Vista Ridge Marching Festival @ Gupton Stadium (Cedar Park)
10/10: 6:30 pm: Home Game vs Hays
10/12: 12:15 pm: Texas Marching Classic (Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex)
10/14: Student/Staff Holiday
10/15: 6:30 - 7:30 pm: Band Boosters General Membership Meeting (this is student holiday but there is still rehearsal and meeting).
10/17: Happy Birthday Mrs. Mendez!
10/17: 6:00 - 9:00 pm: Chick-Fil-A Buda Spirit Night Fundraiser
10/19: Johnson HS 4A UIL Region Marching Contest
10/23: 7:00 pm: Hays CISD Marching Festival
10/24: 7:00 pm: Home Game vs Central Catholic
10/31: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Seguin
* Please see the calendar on Charms or Band Booster website for details. Details below.
Heads Up! Looking ahead!
- JHS "Up and Coming" game is October 10th and the dance is October 11th. Please know that we do have rehearsal Friday afternoon from 4:45 - 6:45 pm as we have a marching competition the next day, Saturday, October 12th. And please know that these dates were on the calendar before the "Up and Coming" dance was scheduled. If you have questions, about the dance, please contact the Student Council's advisor, Ms. Boaz.
- Please know that, as the Charms calendar has listed since school started, we WILL have practice from 4:45 pm to 6:45 pm on Tuesday, October 15th even though this is a school holiday.
Behind every great band are great band parents!
How to sign up with VIPS district volunteer program and log hours
V.I.P.S. (Volunteers in Public Schools) is required by HaysCISD for all volunteers that will be around students. Volunteers must be approved as a VIP volunteer BEFORE volunteering.
TO SIGN UP:
- From www.hayscisd.net choose Community> Become a Hays
- CISD volunteer.
- Follow the prompts given to complete the application.
- Our VIPS coordinator is Ms. Conder. When you visit the band hall, please see her immediately to get a name badge. Bring your driver’s license in for her to see.
TO LOG VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- Go to www.hayscisd.net
- Choose the “community” tab
- Click on “become a Hays CISD volunteer”
- Click on “VIPs Rewards”
- Click on “Log your VIPs Hours (volunteers)” and log in
- Click on the drop down menu on the left –“volunteer”
Sync Your Calendar to Charms!
Visit the Johnson Band Website for information on how to sync the Charms calendar to your phone. "How to sync" links are located above calendar. Just click on link appropriate for your type of phone!
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
To sign up for Remind 101 for band notifications:
- Send a text message to 81010 (enter this number where you would enter the phone number)
- The message will be @jagband19 (type this where you would type your text message)
- Hit "send"
- If you did this successfully, you will receive a text informing you that you signed up for the band remind messages.
Signing up for Remind for other clubs or classes will be similar. You will always send a text to 81010 but what you type into the text box will be different. For example, for an English class, it might be @smithsenglishclass.
Follow Us/Stay Connected
Remind 101 Full Band Code - Text @jagband19 to 81010
Remind 101 Parents Code - Text @jbparents to 81010
Remind 101 Pit Crew Code - Text @pitcrewja to 81010