Joyceville Public School
September 30, 2015
What a fantastic start to the school year. There is already so much to celebrate. You should be very proud of your child(ren)! As I tour the school, I see each one of them working hard and trying their best every day! I've observed deep thinking and discussions during literacy, taking risks to learn to speak French, collaboration to solve problems in Math, creativity with music and the arts, and writing at all ages that inspires and moves me!
Our students have also demonstrated many moments of being kind and supportive with each other. This was very evident at our first assembly. Our Kindergarten students sang a lovely song to welcome our new students and everyone back to a new school year. Students heard a pep talk from Kid President about trying new things and being awesome! Our Grade 6/7 class lead the school in a lively dance to get everyone up and involved. A big thanks goes to our Terry Fox Team for showing excellent leadership and launching our Terry Fox fundraiser campaign.
Many students have been involved in sports. Our boys' and girls' soccer teams practiced everyday at lunch recess for the first few days of school. They played hard and with great spirit and determination at a tournament last week against other schools. We were very proud of how well they represented our school. We also have a good sized group of Grade 3-8 students who are training to run in an upcoming Cross Country Meet. Thanks to our coaches for running these activities - Mrs. Roberts, Mr. Fleet, Mrs. Palmer and Mr. Guild! A special thanks to Bob, Mrs. Roberts husband, for coaching the girls team!
I look forward to many more awesome things as we head into October! I encourage you to follow us on Twitter so you can get a glimpse of the fantastic learning and activities that happen at school. As well, on Twitter, we will tweet reminders for events and deadlines, and post interesting links for parents.
I am sending home a Social Media Permission Form for each student. Please review, complete and return to the school.
As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns or if you want to introduce yourself if we have not met already!
Follow us on Twitter! @JoycePS_LDSB
Reminder: If you have not already done so, please return the following to school as soon as possible.
- Computer Use Agreement
- Advance Absence Notification Card (Green)
- Data Verification and Freedom of Information - review and update
- Parent Survey (if you wish)
- Electronic Newsletter Survey
- $5 voluntary contribution for agenda
Oct. 5-9 Grade 6/7 Beyond Classrooms at Agnes Etherington Art Center
Oct. 6 Cross Country Meet at Fort Henry
Oct. 9 Grade 7/8 Immunizations
Oct. 12 Thanksgiving - no school
Oct. 15 Colour House Play Day - all grades
Oct. 28 Parent Council Meeting 6:00 pm
Oct. 30 Halloween Activities
Parent Council Update
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, October 28th at 6:00 pm. Please contact the office if you require child care.
- Elections will be held at the next meeting, please contact the office for a nomination form.
- A big thanks goes to parent council for purchasing play equipment for the students in each classroom to use at recesses!
- Be at your stop 5 minutes before scheduled pick-up in the morning.
- If you have questions or if the bus is late, please contact Triboard Transportion at 613-354-1981 or visit their website Triboard.com. You can also contact the bus company (see below).
Hogan Bus Line (613-387-3235)
- Bus 276 (Robin)
- Bus 923 (Janet)
- Bus 928 (Tanya)
First Student (613-389-8690)
- Bus 933 (Faye)
Crystal Ball - Limestone Learning Foundation (LLF) Fundraising Event
Our school was the recipient of a large LLF grant for out music program!
Crystal Ball Online Community and Art & Design Auction: October 13 – October 23
- Bid on a variety of services, items and excursions donated by local businesses and LDSB schools.
- bid on all of the collaborative artwork created by our mentors and their students
Visit www.MaxSold.com/CrystalBall to view items, register and bid.
Crystal Ball Concert – October 25 at 3 p.m (Stages Nightclub, 393 Princess Street)
- An opportunity for everyone to see the 10 musical mentees perform. Purchase tickets online at snapd tix http://bit.ly/1V6fjAS , the LDSB Education Centre, and in downtown Kingston at Agent 99, ECHO Hair Design and Taylored Training. Tickets are $20 per person. (All ages - Family Friendly event)
Clothes for Kids
Clothes for Kids is a local organization that donates winter clothing and boots to children. If you know of a family who could benefit from this or you are a family who would like to access this resource, please contact the office. We will be accepting applications until October 23rd.