The Hawk's Nest Special Edition
March 12th, 2021
Schedule for March 22nd - April 2
- Monday, 3/22: Cohort A in person
- Tuesday, 3/23: Cohort B in person
- Wednesday, 3/24: All students will be remote
- Thursday, 3/25: NO SCHOOL--Virtual Conferences & Bag Pick Up for Remote Students
- Friday, 3/26: NO SCHOOL
- Monday, 3/29: Cohort A in person
- Tuesday, 3/30: Cohort A in person
- Wednesday, 3/31: Cohort B in person
- Thursday, 4/1: Cohort B in person
- Friday, 4/2: All students will be remote
Download the Hybrid Calendar below for the rest of the school year.
Dress Code Guidelines for Vanguard West 2021 4th Quarter
In order to maintain a school environment which is safe and conducive to learning, all clothing must be appropriate so as not to disrupt the learning environment and not interfere with the health, safety and welfare of any person. Below are the parameters for 4th quarter dress code. Please note that uniforms are still very important to us at VCS, but considering the current climate with the Pandemic we are not requiring them for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
ACCEPTABLE: Jeans (any color), jeggings, sweatpants, cargo pants, athletic shorts
NOT ACCEPTABLE: No ripped or torn pants; leggings
ACCEPTABLE: T-shirts (appropriate logos permitted), collared shirts, hoodies/spirit wear
- Inappropriately sheer, tight or low-cut clothing (e.g., spaghetti straps, midriffs, halter tops, half-shirts/crop tops, backless clothing, tube tops, garments made of fishnet, mesh or similar material, muscle shirts, etc.) that bare or expose traditionally private parts of the body including, but not limited to, the stomach, buttocks, back and breasts
- T-shirts with inappropriate logos like villains, R rated TV/movie characters (like Deadpool or Thanos), for example
- Tank Tops
- Muscle Shirts
ACCEPTABLE: Modest skirts/dresses, low heal shoes, sandals
Not Acceptable: Low cut dresses, skirts/dress with a side slit past the knee, heels greater than 2 inches, flip flops
- Any clothing with holes or that are torn/ripped
- Pajamas, slippers
- Clothing worn in such a way as that undergarments can be seen
- Sunglasses, bandanas, hats
- Any clothing; including outer wear that contains any logos advertisement, symbols, words, slogans, patches, or pictures, etc., that:
- Refer to drugs, tobacco, alcohol, or weapons
- Are of a sexual nature - By virtue of color, trademark, or other attributes.
- Any clothing that denotes membership in gangs which advocate drug use, violence, or disruptive behavior
- Are obscene, profane, vulgar, lewd, or legally libelous
-Political statements of any kind
- Threaten the safety or welfare of any person
- Promote any activity prohibited by the student code of conduct
- Otherwise disrupt the teaching-learning process
* The Leadership Team reserves the right to determine if items are acceptable or not.
We will be using the PikMyKid app for dismissal this year. Please use the information below to sign up. If you can't get the app please be sure you place your child's car tag in the window with the three digit code so that we may enter it.
The inside carline is now designated for 5-8 students. After 5-8 students exit their cars they will go to the far right of the building and enter by the field. There they will have their temperatures checked before heading upstairs to class.
The outside carline is now designated for k-4 students. K-4 students will enter through the front door, where they will have their temperatures checked prior to going to class.
K-4 students are to be dropped off in the second drop off area. They will then enter through the front door.
A few remainders:
Pull all the way up in the carline before allowing your child to get out
Do not talk or text on your cell phone while in the line
Follow directions of VCS staff
Remember to be patient as this is a new system and may take some time to learn
Stay in your vehicle
- Select ONLY ONE slot with your child's homeroom teacher.
- Select ONLY ONE slot with your child's homeroom teacher.
- Content teachers will provide notes to homeroom teachers to go over during your conference.
- Should you need to speak with a teacher other than your child's homeroom teacher, please contact them directly to set up an appointment on another day.
We're ready...safety first!
Check out the images below to see some of the safety features we have in place!
These are located in the hallways throughout the school.
Sanitizer and Disinfectant Wipes
These are located in every classroom.
Social Distancing Markers
These are located at both entrances.
Bring Your Water Bottle
We have installed touch free water filters on both floors.
Every room is equipped with a commercial grade air filter.
At both entrances, students will step up to this machine and have their temperature checked.
There is new carpet throughout the entire building!
These are located at the front desk and in some offices.
Parents, when you see this sign at drop off, open the app and announce that you are at school.
We will not have pickup meals outside on March 22nd or 23rd, but they will return March 24th - 26th.
We will not be hosting outside pickup Monday - Thursday starting March 29th. We will still have a pickup on Fridays where we will hand out the "Big Bags." These bags contain breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner for the weekend.
Lunches will be outside if the weather is 40 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer.
CMAS Testing for Remote Students
CDE has allowed all remote students to be automatically exempt from CMAS testing this spring. However, you do have the option to opt your student IN to state testing if you choose. Email Ms. Davis for more information.
Recently, COVIDCheck Colorado (CCC) announced a partnership with the State of Colorado that allows all Colorado residents to access COVID-19 testing free of charge at any CCC site, including the APS Professional Learning and Conference Center (PLCC) north parking lot location.
With the increases in testing at the PLCC, we ask that all community members show up promptly for their registered appointments to minimize wait times. Additionally, CCC will be updating the testing process at the PLCC for more efficient service, including additional testing lanes, increased testing appointments and longer testing hours.
Community members, and others who would like to access tests at the PLCC should register here by clicking the button below.
Are you having tech issues?
Our team will work to resolve your issues in a timely manner.