- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef stock, divided
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Whole wheat noodles
- Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2-inch thick by 2-inches long. Season with 1/2-teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Melt 1-tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes. Remove to a bowl and add 1-tablespoon butter to the skillet. Cook and stir one half the beef strips until browned, about 5 minutes, then remove to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining butter and beef strips. Pour wine into the hot skillet and deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup beef broth in a jar with a tightly fitting lid and shake until combined. Stir into the skillet, whisking until smooth. Stir in the remaining broth and mustard, then return the beef to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in the prepared mushrooms and the sour cream five minutes before serving. Heat briefly and season with salt and pepper