The Weekly Buzz
A Weekly Newsletter from Corner Middle School
Volume 3, Number 24: January 2, 2022
Welcome Back to School for the Second Semester!!!
Revisiting Jefcoed COVID Procedures as We Open the Second Semester
This week, our faculty, staff, and students return to middle school for the second semester of the 2021-2022 school year. We have had a great first semester in so many ways! We wanted to follow up to remind students and their families about Jefcoed procedures regarding COVID-19.
As we enter the new year, Dr. Gonsoulin has made us aware that while he is not immediately making changes to district procedures, some may still be possible as new data becomes available and/or state mandates change. If any changes are forthcoming, the superintendent will communicate them directly to employees, parents, and students as soon as possible.
Masks are required on all school buses, but remain optional inside the buildings during school or extracurricular activities. Employees return to work on Monday, January 3rd, and students return to school on January 6th.
We ask families who may have students who are symptomatic to monitor your child's health. Please monitor your student daily for the following symptoms:
Fever, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion/runny nose, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If any of these symptoms are observed, isolate immediately, seek medical care, and contact your school nurse. Please report a COVID-19 positive diagnosis to your school nurse. COVID-19 positive and/or symptomatic exposed individuals must meet the following criteria before returning to school/work:
● Must be isolated for at least 10 days after symptoms first appear
● Must be fever free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications at the end of the 10 day period
● Improvement of all other symptoms
2022 PTO Membership Drive Kicks off in January
Prior to the holidays, administration met with parent representatives to discuss how we can better involve our students' families as we head into 2022. While we are still monitoring Omicron's impact on school policy, the parent leaders feel this is good time to work to get families back into our Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO).
Below, you will find the PTO Membership Form that families can complete to join the organization. Membership dues are $10.00 per family. The form and dues can be turned into the school office. The group is looking to fill leadership / officer and committee openings. The January membership drive will end on the last day of the month.
Please bring your ideas, talents, and skills to the table in partnering with our school staff to work to provide our students with the opportunities and tools they need to move successfully to Corner High School and beyond!
CMS Calendar for the Week of January 3, 2022 - January 9, 2022
Monday, January 3, 2022
- Teacher Work Day in Jefferson County
- Zone 1 Principals Meeting on Signature Academies at Gardendale High School 12:00
Tuesday, January 4, 2022
- Professional Learning Day (District) in Jefferson County
- 5th Grade ACAP Meeting in 5th Grade Conference Room 8:30
- CMS NIC Teams at District Meeting at Hueytown High School 12:30
- CHS Wrestling at Ashville Duals at Ashville High School
Wednesday, January 5, 2022
- e-Learning Day for Students in Jefferson County
- Professional Learning Day (Local) in Jefferson County
- Threat Assessment Training for Administrators, Counselors, and SROs at Minor High School 8:00
- PBIS (Tier II) Training for all CMS Faculty in Library 8:15
- ELA and Math Vertical Team Meetings at CHS 1:00
- CHS Varsity Volleyball Tryouts at CHS
Thursday, January 6, 2022
- First Day for Students (Second Semester) in Jefferson County
- MEDC at Corner Middle School
- CMS Robotics (7/8) at North Jefferson Middle School Competition 3:30
- CHS Bowling at Pelham 4:30
- Cornerstone Christian at CHS Basketball 4:30 / 6:00
- CHS Wrestling at Leeds Duals at Leeds High School
Friday, January 7, 2022
- Monthly Birthday Celebration in CMS Library
- Cordova at CHS Basketball 4:30 / 5:30 / 7:00
Saturday, January 8, 2022
- Relax, Be Productive at Home, and Enjoy the Weekend
- CMS Robotics Team (7/8) at Wallace State Competition 7:30-4:30
- Corner Community Park Basketball at Corner Middle School
Sunday, January 9, 2022
- Enjoy Your Day Worshiping, Relaxing, and/or Having Fun with Family and Friends!
Looking Ahead to Important School Dates
Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Wellness Screening at CMS
Monday, January 17, 2022 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Schools Closed
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 iReady Winter Diagnostic Begins
Saturday, January 22, 2022 Miss CHS Yellow Jacket Pageant at CHS 2:00/5:00
Wednesday, January 26, 2022 iReady Winter Diagnostic Ends
Monday, January 31, 2022 iReady Training 5th and 6th Grade 8:00-11:00
Monday, January 31, 2022 iReady Training 7th and 8th Grade 12:00-3:00
Thursday, February 17, 2022 e-Learning Day
Friday, February 18, 2022 Weather Day - Schools Closed
Monday, February 21, 2022 Presidents Day - Schools Closed
Tuesday, February 22, 2022 Spring Pictures at CMS
Athletic schedules will be added into the Looking Ahead list next week.
Corner Middle School
Corner Middle School is committed to empowering our students as they build a foundation for college, career, and community success in a nurturing environment.
Our vision at Corner Middle School is to ensure our students are academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for challenges they may encounter in the next phases of their lives.
Corner Middle School believes we will accomplish our Mission and Vision in serving our community of learners by:
- Loving, encouraging, and inspiring our students and each other in our daily interactions.
- Utilizing highly-effective instruction and a challenging curriculum.
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in order to prepare them for college and entry into a career pathway.
- Partnering with the community.
- Cultivating student leaders.
- Integrating technology into all areas of learning.