How To Save Our Earth! By:Gretchen Wolpert
Ways to Save the Earth!
- Turn lights off when you leave a room.
- Take shorter showers to save water.
- Recycle paper and plastic products instead of throwing in the trash.
- Use both sides of paper. Don't waste!
- Plant a Tree.
History of Earth Day!
A man named Gaylord Nelson made Earth Day in 1962. He realized that few people were concerned about the environmental problems like deforestation. He went to the White House and talked to President John F. Kennedy about his idea of Earth Day. Gaylord Nelson worked 9 years for Earth Day to be a national holiday. He went on a conversation tour, nationwide demos. Then schools and other demonstrators stepped in. Earth Day became a national holiday on March 21, 1971. It is celebrated on April 22. Gaylord Nelson died on July 3,2005.
Interesting Facts About The Environment.
- When you throw a plastic bag into the ocean it kills 1 million sea creatures annually.
- Rain forests are cut down at a rate of 100 acres per minute.
- The world's oldest tree are more than 4,600 years old!
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.