Heritage Middle School News
February 8, 2016
Great Things Happening
Dear HMS Parents,
What a wonderful week this has been. Our students received their laptops and what is taking place is great. A parent approached me this week thanking the district for the laptops. She explained how her student has formed an online study group. Her student, along with others in her class, are using Skype to help each other study and collaborate on various assignments. The parent's excitement and appreciation was evident. We hope to continue hearing more stories like this.
Scott Saettel, Principal
Heritage Middle School
Reminder About After School Events
Save the Date - First Ever HMS Fun Run
Laptop Backgrounds and Screensavers
GCISD Programs Expo
From engineering challenges to advanced academics to language immersion and early childhood education, GCISD offers a world of opportunities for students. Families are invited to learn more about these opportunities at the Special Programs Expo on Tuesday, February 16, 5:30 - 8:00 PM at Cross Timbers Middle School. The expo will feature stations showcasing our STEM programs, ASPIRE Academy and Dual Language programs. New to the expo this year, families may also learn about the proposed tuition-based Pre-Kindergarten program, iUniversity Prep and Collegiate Academy. In addition to program stations, presentations focusing on the instructional components and benefits of these programs will be delivered in the lecture hall and Student Activity Center (SAC).
6th Grade Students Interested in Athletics
There will be an informational parent meeting for all 6th graders and parents wishing to register for athletics next year on Wednesday, February 17th 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM.
This is a mandatory meeting. If you are unable to attend, you need to contact Coach Cruson (girls) or Coach Roe (boys) for further information.
8Th Grade Party Donations
Can you believe it’s already time to think of the 8th grade end-of-year party? We would love your help in collecting items for door prizes. Parents may donate gift certificates or gift cards suitable for 8th graders, or you may donate cash to assist us in purchasing them. You may leave any donations at the front office in an envelope addressed to Stasia Bandy. If you have any questions, please contact Deana Bieg at email@example.com or Stasia Bandy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
7th Grade Health Lessons
2016-2017 Cheerleader/Mascot Tryouts
There is a mandatory student/parent information meeting on Tuesday, February 9 at 7:15 PM in the HMS Lecture Hall. Candidate information packets will be distributed to parents at this time. The packets include the forms each student must turn in to be eligible to tryout, a copy of the constitution, and the judge’s score sheet. Parents who are absent from the meeting will need to contact Coach Coffey to get the required information. Packets will not be handed to students unless his/her parent has spoken with Coach Coffey. Coach Coffey can be reached at email@example.com
HMS Cotillion 2016
6th Grade parents and students mark your calendars for the 2016 Cotillion coming in February. Find out more information about what Cotillion is and how to register on the HMS PTA website or follow this link
Support HMS Cheerleading
HMS PTA Scholarships
Do you know a GCISD senior? HMS PTA scholarship applications are now open online. Deadline is March 24th. You can visit your counselor's web page to find the link to scholarships or it can be found here.
- Tuesday, February 9 - 'New Band Member Meeting' for incoming 9th graders - 6:30pm in CHHS Band Hall
- Congratulations on a WONDERFUL JOB at Ensemble Contest!!!!
- HMS Band students performed in one or more of the 76 ensembles earning 258 1st Division Superior Medals!!!! Numerous ensembles were also selected as Outstanding Ensemble of their Room earning a trophy for their performance! WOW!!!
- 7th Grade Lewisville Select Band Members - Fabulous Concert!!! Congratulations on a job well done!!
- District UIL Contest on February 17 at CHHS.
- 7th Grade Girls - February 8th against Cross Timbers at HMS. Games Begin at 5 pm and will be played in C-A-B order.
- 8th Grade Girls - February 8th against Cross Timbers at HMS. Games begin at 5 pm and will be played in B-C-A order.
- Both 7th and 8th grade A team girls will be participating in the “A” Zone Tournament at Coppell North on February 11th and 12th. Times TBA.
- 7th Grade Boys - February 9th against Coppell East at HMS. Games begin at 5 pm and will be played in B-C-A order.
- 8th Grade Boys - February 9th against Coppell at Coppell East MS. Games begin at 5 pm and will be played in C-A-B order.
Boys and Girls Track - The first meet of the 2016 track season will be on February 23rd hosted by HMS. HMS, Grapevine, Coppell West and Carroll Middle schools will compete. Field events begin at 4pm.
Boys and Girls Tennis
The first competition is scheduled for Feb. 18th.
BOX TOP$ for Education
HMS Spirit Wear Orders
Hello PTA parents! Would you like to get involved at HMS as a volunteer? Please contact Mary Ellen Blackstone at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have many opportunities to get involved as a parent volunteer. Even if you aren't able to commit to a regular volunteer schedule we can still use your help. At HMS there are many different programs and activities that need assistance. Please send Mary Ellen a note and let her know you are interested in being in the volunteer pool. PTA members please report your volunteer hours at this link - or email Mary Ellen.