Wainwright's Groovy Headlines
April 11, 2016
Readers' and Writers' Workshop
We will continue our ocean unit today. We will be reading LOTS of ocean books, writing lots about the facts we learn, and creating ocean animals as part of this unit. This is one of my favorite units, and I thoroughly enjoy sharing all the amazing details of this wonderful creation. We will learn about the ocean tides, the animals that live in the ocean, and how we can do our part to protect this habitat.
Students will continue reading from just right books that are in their ZPD range from the STAR reading assessment. Students will continue practicing comprehension strategies with first grade level reading selections.
Spelling Words Long A sound spelled ai and ay
*Play math game and/or complete math worksheets
*Study spelling words
Homework folders are sent home on Monday and should be returned on Friday mornings with completed reading logs, math worksheets, and math games.
Zika Virus Information from the Alabama Department of Health and ALSDE
As warm weather approaches, we want you to take an active role in reducing your exposure to mosquitoes. To avoid viruses transmitted by mosquitoes, use THIS checklist to reduce sources of water in yard which are potential breeding sites. A coloring book, provided HERE, can involve the entire family in prevention measures. The coloring book will be provided for Prk-3rd grade. For more information concerning Zika Virus call 1-888-246-2675 or visit www.adph.org/mosquito
Common Core Daily Standards
- RF.1.1. Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- RF.1.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Phonics and Word Recognition
- RF.1.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.1.4. Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- OA.1.1 Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
- OA.1.3 Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.
- OA.1.5 Relate counting to addition and subtraction.
- NBT.1.1 Count to 120, starting at any number.
- NBT 1.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
- NBT 1.4 Add two-digit numbers with a one-digit number, or a multiple of 10.
- NBT 1.5 Given a two-digit number, mentally find 10 more or 10 less.
- NBT 1.6 Subtract multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range from multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range.
Important Dates & Events
- 4/12 Chick-fil-A Spirit Day
- 4/28 Field trip to Anniston Museum of Natural History
- 4/27 Secretary's Day
- 5/2 - 5/6 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/2 - 5/6 Child Nutrition Worker Appreciation Week
- 5/4 National School Nurse's Day
- 5/15 National Police Officer's Day
- 5/24 Last day for students noon dismissal with report cards
- 5/30 Memorial Day