Third Grade Buzzzz...
Happenings in Mrs. Paluch's Class!
January 4, 2016
Welcome Back!! I hope everyone had a fun, relaxing break.
Thank you Mrs. Auten, Mrs. Aviles, Mrs. Bonesz, Mrs. Kelty and Mrs. Misek for a FUN winter party!!
ELA- (English/Language Arts)
We are starting Unit 2 Module A this week.
We will read the story, The Athabascans: Old Ways and New Ways.
Starting Wednesday we will begin the chapter book, The Year of Miss Agnes.
Reading Essential Question: How do readers use evidence from texts to understand what they read?
Writing Essential Question: How do writers include character dialogue and actions to affect the events in a story?
Focus This Week:
- Determine the main idea of a text and recount the key details.
- Look how main idea and supporting details help readers understand the text.
- Understand how authors choose words for a particular effect.
- Understand that a central message is conveyed through character actions.
- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text.
Foundational Skills: Compound Words
- Research and gather information to assist in writing a narrative.
- I will teach kids how to take notes from an informational story and then use those notes to write a narrative.
- Talk about the genre of narrative writing. The elements of narrative writing are: a strong narrator and characters, clear sequence of events, temporal words/phrases that signal the order of events, dialogue and character actions that impact events and a conclusion.
- Capitalization rules in titles and Proper Nouns
- Adverbs- words that modify, or describe verbs, adjectives or other adverbs. Ex., slowly, heavily, badly.
Lessons this week:
- On Monday we will review the distributive property and add information into our Math Notebook. We will play some fun New Year's themed math games!
- Associative Property of Multiplication
- Write and evaluate expressions
This Week's Homework:
Tuesday 1/5- 9.4
Wednesday 1/6- 9.5
Thursday 1/7- 9.6
- The children will finish up learning about exploration and colonization of Illinois.
- Jan. 14 2nd Quarter Grades Available online after 4:00
- Jan. 18 No School Martin Luther King Day