Russia and the western republics
By: Aubree Pittman
Birth of an empire
- Russia State began in the region between the Baltic and Black sea.
- In the 13th century the arrival of the invaders from Mongolia.
- The Mongols controlled the region until 1500's
- Ivan the Great a powerful prince put a end to their rule.
- By the end of the 17th century Russia had built an empire that extended to the P acific Ocean
Russia lags behind western Europe
- Russian science and technology lagged behind its European rivals.
- Peter the great who was Czar (emperor) of Russia from 1682 to 1725.
- he made impressive strides toward modernizing Russia, but Russia has still lagging behind.
The rise and fall of the soviet union
- In 1917 the Russian revolution occurred which ended the rule of the czars.
- The Russian communist vary, led by V.I Lenin took control of the government.
- the new nation was called the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) or Soviet Union for short.
- In 1939 Joseph Stalin had taken over the leadership of the USSR.
- Stalin led the Soviet Union in the fight against Nazi Germany.
- The united States and the Soviet Union had a lot of tension, but they never went to war so they called it the cold war.
- In the past Russia had a communist government.
- today they have a federal republic government
- Russia has a command economy
- Russia government took control of the major sources of the states wealth, including land, mines, factories, banks, and transportation systems.
- The government planners decided what products factories would manufacture, what crops will be grown, and etc.
Peter The Great
He was the czar of Russia from 1682 to 1725
IN 1939 he took over leadership of the USSR
He took over the communist government.