~ Hawley Elementary School Newsletter: April 30, 2023 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti.....
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians, Teachers, and Staff,
I hate to say it, but we are in the Final Stretch. A concert, Field Day, 4th Grade Celebration, and baaaack to Hawley!
Buckle up, stay seated, and keep your hands and feet in the car at all times, as you read on to find out What's Happening at Hawley .....
~ Return to Hawley / End of Year ~
The Hawley building is on target to be completed in time for the ‘23-’24 school year. We know families are looking forward to returning to Hawley School.
This past year, the school district encountered unforeseeable problems during the moving out of Hawley School and the subsequent set up of the temporary classrooms. Much of the packing occurred while the students were in session. Many of the classrooms were not ready for the start of the school year and parent walkthroughs. Almost all of the necessary professional development time earmarked for teacher learning was leveraged to provide time for unpacking.
Consequently, we wanted to avoid these pitfalls as we approach the start of a new school year.
Connecticut State Statutes require that all public-school districts attend 180 days of school. Newtown Public Schools historically have scheduled 182 days. The Board of Education approved plan would shorten this year’s Hawley school calendar by two days, which are early dismissals (180).
Hawley students' last day of school will be Monday 6/12. This is only Hawley students.
- If needed, Hawley parents may enroll their students in free, optional educational and recreational half day camps which will be provided at the Newtown Community Center on 6/13 and 6/14. Bus transportation and lunch will be provided. Please Click HERE to sign up and participate in the NCC Programs. Please return this form by Friday, May 26, 2023 if you plan on attending this alternative.
- Hawley students attending the Ed Advance before and after school programs will be transported from the morning program at Sandy Hook to the Community Center and they will be transported to Sandy Hook School for the afternoon.
- Teachers and staff will complete the packing of their rooms on 6/13.
- Moving company will move furniture and supplies to Hawley School.
- Teachers will use their last contractual work day to unpack and set up rooms over the summer.
We wanted to provide you with this information in a timely manner, so that you and your family can plan for the end of year activities. We are aware of the inconvenience that this information may cause your family routine. In an effort to support families we worked collaboratively with the Newtown Community Center and our transportation provider to assist families in search of accommodations on 6/13 and 6/14.
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility in this matter. If you have any questions in regards to this letter, please feel free to contact us.
Chris Melillo, Superintendent
Chris Moretti, Principal
~ Library News ~
Each Newsletter, we will Spotlight one of our Specials (Art, Library, Music, Spanish and PE).
Mrs. Carlson makes sure that Library is an amazing time. There are wonderful books to read for pleasure. There is also coding robots, Nutmeg Books and so much more. Click HERE for the Library Spring Newsletter.
Final Book Check Out & Return
- at Reed- Last Check Out: 5/17, Return by: 5/25
- at Sandy Hook- Last Check Out: 5/25, Return by: 6/11
Thank you for your assistance!
~ Grades 2-4 Jump Rope for Heart ~
Your student will earn a free wristband just for registering.
Here’s how you can help:
- Click to Register: Hawley Elementary Web Page
- Complete Finn’s Mission: Watch a 2-minute video to know Hands-Only CPR, spot the signs of a stroke and more!
- Share with friends and family through social media, text and/or email
~ Placement ~
2023 / 2024
As we approach the final stretch of the current school year, I want to remind you that very shortly, we will begin the process of developing our class placements for the upcoming school year.
This is an extremely complex process with grouping decisions being made by a number of factors, by a number of staff members and through hours of collaboration. Although teachers and other staff have closely observed your child in the classroom/school environment, I understand that from a parent’s perspective, there may be information that you would like to share.
With the exception of choosing a teacher, I invite you to write/call me with any information that you feel would be helpful in the placement of your child. If I feel that additional information is needed, I may give you a follow-up call.
Placement conversations should be directed ONLY to me and NOT your child’s current classroom teacher. Sending information to me is optional and has a deadline of THIS Friday, May 5, 2023.
~ PTA News ~
- Teacher Appreciation Week is approaching. We are looking for someone to help run this! Please reach out to Jen (email@example.com) or Jess (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested!!
Hawley Wear online store close TODAY, April 30th. Be sure to get your orders in if you would like any gear!Hawleywear Link
- Book Fairs
- at Sandy Hook (Grades K-1) will be a BUY ONE, GET ONE fair. There will be no preview day. If you choose to send in money, students will be sent to the fair to shop.
- at Reed (Grades 2-4) will look like a normal book fair. Preview Day 5/5, Shopping 5/8 and 5/9.
Volunteer sign up: Book Fair 2-4 Volunteer Sign Up
Volunteer sign up: Book Fair K-1 Volunteer Sign UpLink for e-wallet: E-Wallet Link (K-1)
5. Mother’s Day Make Your Own Bouquet Fundraiser (Grades 2-4). This will be held at Reed on May 12th only for grades 2-4. Students will be making their own bouquets to bring home for Mother's Day if they choose to participate. Volunteer link and flyer coming soon!
6. Science Assembly - we have partnered with Reed to offer a Science Assembly for kids grades 2-4. It will be on May 30th during school.
7. Save the Date for Field Day! We know this is a popular event for volunteers so Save the Date! June 2nd, Rain Date June 9th.
8. It’s hard to believe but School Supplies for next year will be ready to order soon! Keep your eyes peeled for order instructions! Click HERE for the initial information before ordering.
~ BINGO / Dessert Night ~
Important Reminders / General Info
- State Testing & Make-Ups continue. Please make sure that your student gets a good night's sleep, is to school on time, avoid appointments during the day, and that they have a pair of working Headphones.
- Registration is open for Kindergarten next year.
- If your family will not be returning to Hawley next year, due to a move or relocation, not a 4th grader going to 5th, please reach out to our office. This helps us prepare for next year (and The Move Back to Hawley)
- Since we are in 2 buildings that students are unfamiliar, and with the end of the day being very busy, we ask that no students be picked up between 3:00-3:25 PM.
- If you are wondering..... ASK!
Dates to Remember
- SBAC Testing and Make-Ups through Friday, May 5
- Thurs, May 11: 4th Grade Concert, Reed Cafeteria, 7:00
- Wed, May 24: PTA Meeting, Reed Library, 4:30
- Fri, May 26: 3-Hr Early Release Day, Professional Development
- Mon, May 29: NO SCHOOL- Memorial Day
- Thurs, 6/1: 4th Grade Celebration
- Fri, 6/2: Field Day, Reed School