OCS Summer Scholars
at Gravelly Hill Middle School
Welcome to Summer Scholars! (Session 1: June 14 - July 2)
Finally, I have linked a copy of the district's Summer Scholars Welcome Letter HERE. You will find that it contains a lot of helpful information about the program.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Crystal B. Medlin
GHMS Summer Scholars Program Coordinator
- Math 180 - students took a diagnostic test to see where they were, participated in small groups to get help where it was needed, and logged on to their Math 180 account to work on their learning path! They can play on the Brain Arcade from home!
Math 180 Fractions - students enjoyed the fraction tiles!
Khan Academy/ST Math - we explored our level of understanding, got to know more about each other, and got comfortable with a new math program STMATH.
- 7th & 8th grade ELA - focus was on vocabulary and different reading strategies. Students learned several new root words and come up with words from those root words. They found asking questions before reading an informational text helped us focus better!
8th Grade ELA - students practiced reading in phrases rather than word by word to improve their fluency and understanding. They also practiced strategies such as reading with a "this is interesting voice" and asking questions to increase their engagement with and comprehension of nonfiction texts.
- Smart Science (SmartGirls) / STEM HQ - students have been building and coding microcontrollers to perform activities. They experimented with a breadboard, coding, and wiring to make blinking lights and a traffic light system!!
Nuvu - we investigated “imperfections” in our environment as sites for possible design or ways to improve them.
Enrichment Course Descriptions
Here's a course description of our enrichment courses students take in the PM session (12:30 - 5:00)
- The Smart Girls HQ program is STEM career-focused and gender inclusive. Our goal is to deliver a learning experience that incites and inspires all students to persist on a STEM career path, especially female students who are underrepresented in STEM Careers. Each activity is designed to increase knowledge, encourage innovation, build self-efficacy, critical thinking, and practice communicating their work to an audience. The program is project-based and can be scaled up and down in levels of difficulty and encouragement allowing instructors to provide options to students of different abilities.
- NuVu brings creative education to students around the world. Our mission is to empower the next generation of young designers, entrepreneurs, makers, and inventors who will impact their communities and world through their work and ideas. NuVu students explore real-world topics in a hands-on studio environment. Using our design process, students solve complex challenges using creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration. Studios are multi-disciplinary and may require robotics, coding, fabrication, electronics, or a variety of other technological skills.
- N4N Studios are gateways to exploring music, careers in the industry, and producing original music that empowers young musicians to realize their identity. N4N provides youth with music and production instruction that produces both positive social-emotional and creative growth
What do students have to say?
"I saw some old friends and I really like my enrichments a lot and I did some cool things like make music."
"I saw some old friends that I have not talked to in awhile and I also made some new friends. I like all of my classes and teachers a lot!"
"I saw some friends that I knew and didn't get to talk to because of the different cohorts at my school and the different teams. I also got to meet a lot of new people and I love the opportunities at this school for the classes. I get to learn a lot of new things. Last but not least, I love the atmosphere of this school. It's very calming."
"I had fun with the projects I thought they were fun to construct."
"I learned a lot of new things in math I didn't know about" and "I like everything about this class, but mostly the help I get. It helps me more."
Another student shared in reference to the ST Math online program - "I like doing the work online, and learn stuff by myself"
Another math student said, "I like that I can work at my own pace and as well as working on things that I think I should work on"