September 9-13 2019
Important Upcoming Dates-
Grades 3 and 4 Curriculum Night: September 10
Picture Day: September 12 (rain date=September 13)
Harper Hoedown: September 22 (rain date= September 29th)
Enrichment: Kindergarten- September 26th. Third grade- September 23/24th
Book Fair: October 21-23
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL SEPTEMBER DAYS: 9/30
Destination Imagination: Registration deadline is Friday, September 20th - more info below
PTO General Meeting at Harper: Wednesday, September 25th @9am. Special presentation on Nora Night
Thanks to our 1st and 2nd-grade parents for their attendance at their respective curriculum night events. Our teachers work hard to make these evenings informative, and we value parent partnerships with the school.
We’re looking forward to the 3rd and 4th grade curriculum night on Tuesday evening, September 10th.
And along the line of our focus on collaborative home partnerships, if you haven’t marked you home calendar with the dates of the parent-teacher conference, here is the information (and more to come about how to sign up): November 7th and 8th.
Interested in our curriculum in District 39? Here is a link to our curriculum maps:
District 39 Community Events: http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events
A few reminders about student drop-off and pick-up:
1. Please do not use cell phones when in a school zone!
2. Observe the posted parking restrictions on Greenwood so that you do not enter from Hunter during restricted times.
3. Please do not park in our drop off zones…not even for 5 minutes.
Melanie Goffen Horowitz, Interim Principal
THE COUNTDOWN TO THE HOEDOWN HAS BEGUN, SO PLEASE SAVE THE DATE:
Sunday, September 22 11:30am-2:30pm
- TICKETS! COME AND GET YOUR TICKETS! Kids (5 and up) are $12. Adults are $7. Kids 4 years and younger are FREE. Discount ends September 16. Please fill out the attached order form and return it with cash or check (payable to Harper PTO) to your child's teacher or drop it off in the lobby. You can also pay via PayPal with this link. http://harperpto.com/category/harper-hoedown/ Your admission will be waiting for you at the Will Call table on Sept 22nd.
- WANTED: Stuffed animals of all sizes (and all in great condition) for the Hoedown's prize tent! You can drop off your bags in the school lobby. Bins will be there until Monday, September 16.
- NEEDED: yes, you guessed it - volunteers! Easy breezy one hour shifts come with $5 of food tickets. Please sign up here. Harper Hoedown 2019 Volunteer Sign Up Thank you VERY much-
- Register for Harper Chorus today! It’s not too late to sign up for Harper Chorus! Open to all 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Rehearsals are on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:50am starting September 10. Hope to see Harper’s budding singers soon! Sign up HERE
- NEW THIS YEAR - HELP STOCK THE TEACHERS LOUNGE. Show our wonderful teachers and staff appreciation by keeping the lounge stocked all year. To make it really easy, items can be dropped off ANY TIME OF THE DAY/ ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (see sign up genius for more info, link below) and thanks for your help! Here is a link to the sign-up genius for those that want to volunteer items for the lounge. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4faea722a3f58-stock
- Harper Parent Social: Book your sitters and buy your tickets, this year's Parent Social will be held at A. Perry Homes in Downtown Wilmette. $50 a ticket gets you drinks, appetizers and a chance to mix and mingle with fellow Harper parents- always a lot of fun and we are hoping for a great turnout! Link to buy tickets: http://harperpto.com/category/events/parent-social/
- Birthday Books! August and September birthdays will be celebrated in the library on Wednesday, September 25! Commemorate your child's birthday by donating a book to the Harper Library. The average cost of a new library book is $20 - after your payment has been received, your child will be able to select his / her book during Library time. A personalized bookplate placed inside the book will show everyone that your child has added this special book to the Harper library! Sign up here! http://harperpto.com/birthday-books/
- The Family Action Network (FAN) connects parents, educators, and professionals through collaborative programming that educates, inspires and positively impacts the broader community.
September FAN speakers:
Ibram X. Kendi, Ph.D. -- Sept. 6, 7:00 pm @ ETHS
Paul Tough -- Sept. 16, 7:00 pm @ NTHS, Northfield Campus
Emily Bazelon -- Sept. 26, 7:00 pm @ ETHS
All events are free and open to the public. For more information please see www.familyactionnetwork.net
Welcome Back from PASS39!
PASS39 stands for The Parent Association for Student Services in District 39. It’s a district-wide parent organization that works in collaboration with Administration to help provide education and support for families who have children with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges. This year marks PASS39's 19th year in existence and we continue to benefit from a strong and cooperative relationship with D39's Student Services Department. It is a wonderful group and we are fortunate to have this available in the District.
Carey Personette is Harper's Building Representative this year and her role is to share upcoming events in the Harper Happenings and to be a contact person for anyone who would like to learn more about PASS39. She is happy to connect with anyone new to Harper or anyone who may have questions. Please feel free to contact her via email or cell at any time -email@example.com- 847.322.5331.
PASS39 provides Parent Education Events and Parent Social Events throughout the year. The first event will be an Ice Cream Social at the MEC on Tuesday, September 17th from 6:30–9:00 pm. This evening will provide an overview of PASS39 as well as the schedule of events for the school year. On Wednesday, October 2th from 9:30-11:00 PASS39 is hosting a Morning Coffee to Connect Parents. It will be an informal get-together for parents to collaborate, socialize and support one another. Stay tuned to the Harper Happenings throughout for year for upcoming events and additional details.
For the September Newsletter which includes the 2019-2020 meeting schedule, visit:
PASS39 Email List
Join our email list to receive information on area and district events related to children with learning disabilities and/or special needs. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the PASS39 group e-mail. All addresses are blind copied for confidentiality.
PASS39 on the Web
The PASS39 website provides more information about Wilmette D39 Student Services and contains educational, therapeutic and recreational resources for parents with children with specialized needs.
The Kindergarten classes will be going to the Emily Oaks Nature Center on September 26th for the"Time for Wonder" program. Guided by an Emily Oaks Timekeeper, students will use special tools in four fun activities designed to develop sensory awareness of the natural world. Thank you to iGNITE!
The third graders will be visiting Lake Forest Open Lands September 23rd and 24th. The students will have a hands-on experience exploring the prairie ecosystem. This program is made possible by iGNITE!
Q: What is iGNITE!?
A: iGNITE! is our annual fundraiser at Harper (no wrapping paper or magazine sales required).
Q: What is the money used for?
A: The money is used to bring in guest speakers, scientist, and authors to enrich our children's curriculum.
It also provides funding for field trips (admission and transportation). Additionally, iGNITE! pays for our amazing crossing guards, teacher appreciation events and various beautification projects around the school.
Q: Is my donation tax-exempt?
Q: How do I donate?
A: 1. Donate Online Here: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper
PTO and include your child’s name on the check.
3. Pay with a Credit Card at the iGNITE! table present in the Harper Lobby during the Curriculum
Destination Imagination (DI) registration for Harper students is now open. Please register via this link - http://harperpto.com/next-stop-destination-imagination/
Registration deadline is FRIDAY, SEPT, 20th.
When a child registers, they will be charged $107 dollars. This covers DI team number/materials, tournament fee, district fee, and t-shirts. If a child is not placed on a DI team, they will be reimbursed the $107. The TM will have to collect a second payment from the parents to cover materials and a background check. (Background checks for one TM per team is a new requirement; the checks cost $28.) Second payment could be between $30-$90 per kid depending on the materials the team uses. Everyone should pay less than $200 for DI.
We are hosting 5 info sessions about DI. These sessions are for people who are new to DI. If you have done DI or attended a session before, you don’t have to go. Please invite anyone new to DI to attend these sessions. If any TM would like to come talk at one of these sessions, please let Emily Paris know.
There are five sessions to choose from, and all D39 parents are invited to all of them. Folks should choose the day/time/location most convenient for them
AM Info Presentations
Fri Sept 13th @ Highcrest 9:15-10:15am
PM Info Presentations
Thurs Sept 12th @ Central 7-8pm
Mon Sept 16th @ McKenzie 7-8pm
Questions, please reach out to Courtney Beagan, our Harper DI representative.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org