What to expect from a Transition Meeting
What is the objective of the meeting?
- To create a plan to help Kim transition from her early intervention program to kindergarten.
- To create strategies to help Kim with the transition prior to starting school
- To make the transition process easy and comfortable for Kim and her family
Who and what is available to help with the transition?
- School Board and Future Principal, Teachers, Special Education Teachers
- Kim and her family
- Pediatrician, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist and SLP
What is the process?
- Phase 1: Preparation
- This is leading up to the Transition meeting.
- Phase 2: Development of the plan
- This is the meeting and the creating of the Transition plan.
- Phase 3: Documentation and Implementation
- This is writing down the plan, putting it into action and providing copies to the necessary parties.
What are the roles and responsibilities at the meeting?
- Student: to be present, as their commitment to the plan is vital in it being successful
- Parents, Other Family members and Non-Family Advocated: to advocate for the student, to help the student feel more comfortable, assist the student in communicating etc.
- School System Personnel: Principal, Teachers, Special Education Teachers, Subject Teachers, Guidance Counsellor, Education Assistants, School Board Special Education Admins, Psychologists and Other Professionals, Community Service and Health Care Providers etc. Each of these people play a unique role in ensuring a smooth transition. They offer expertise and assistance when it comes to transition planning. It is likely that these personnel will play an integral part of a child's education at some point or another. However not all personnel will attend, as it is by an as-needed basis.
How will it help prepare for the future?
- It will help by creating a positive experience for Kim when transitioning
- It will help to create a new routine and prepare her for being in a classroom
- It will lessen the stress of transitioning on both Kim and her family
- It will present new and effective strategies for Kim and her family to use while transitioning.