5th Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Cook - Language Arts & Social Studies
This week our focus is determining the structure of different texts. This might be: cause and effect, compare and contrast, chronological order, problem/solution, or description. We will be looking at some example texts for this as well as our Social Studies Weekly articles.
Scholastic Book Order: Your student may bring home Scholastic Orders from time to time. If you would like to purchase, the easiest way is by going online to: www.scholastic.com/bookclubs and using our class code: MCQ9Z
If online ordering doesn't suit you, you may choose to send a check (made payable to Scholastic). This helps us to earn FREE books for our classroom! :) I will submit the orders at the end of each month. Our next order will be submitted at the end of January.
Ms. Price - Math
Finding equivalent fractions:
- Understand the role of the multiplier in equivalent fractions
- simplify and unsimplify fractions
- find greatest common factors and least common multiples of numbers
- add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators
Accelerated math is homework every night!
Mrs. Young - Science
Science: This week we are continuing our study on heat transfer. Heat is transferred through conduction, convection, and radiation. We are also discussing conductors and insulators, and finding examples in everyday life. We will be getting into groups at the end of the unit to complete a stem activity to evaluate what we've learned. I have asked my students to bring in two clean 12 oz. aluminum cans by Friday. Also, if they have anything around the house that would be a good insulator to bring it in.
I want to thank everyone for the cards, messages, and prayers over the loss of my mother. Thank you for your patience as I get back into routine. Your children have been wonderful and I am blessed to have such compassionate students. It's good to be back.
Info for Parents & Students
- Please be sure to sign your child's planner each night in PEN with your FULL name (no initials). Students need to be proactive by bringing their planner to you with all of their homework listed.
- Each Friday there will be a conduct grade written into your child's planner. This conduct grade takes into consideration behavior, talking, work ethic (classwork & homework), and how well the 7 Habits have been followed each week.