The Patriot Premier
The Weekly Update for NPHS families, Jan 6 - Jan 11, 2020
Happy New Year !
Since this newsletter was last published in the last decade, I'll keep it short and to the point (bullet points):
• Happy New Year...hope you had a good break!
• Check out some of the highlights from S1 below (there were too many to include them all).
• We are starting an SSP pilot for the 3rd quarter...more on that here.
• Are you interested in hosting an exchange student, click here.
• See the week's events below.
Some of our First Semester Highlights (click to enlarge)
Homecoming was a 3-day event with a parade, football game, and a dance = Fun!
For Halloween Spirit Week, staff dressed up and performed Michael Jackson's "Thriller" for the students. Ms. Moroney was a great choreographer.
The winners and participants of the 11th annual Poetry Out Loud Competiton at Oehring Auditorium.
Senior Jake Wade serves as president of the Alaska Association of Student Government at the fall conference in Palmer.
Our girl's volleyball team became Regional Champions!
Under the direction of the Pavva Inupiaq Dancers, students perform the seal hunting dance at an assembly celebrating Alaska Native Heritage Month.
Nylon 6/6, our school rock band, under the direction of Ms. Brazier, performs at the December assembly.
Our seniors won the semester spirit class competition and were rewarded with free pizza for lunch.
NPHS wins the Interior JROTC Drill Competition– the best of 9 teams from around the State.
The concert choir with alumni sing the Hallelujah Chorus to a standing crowd in Oehring Auditorium.
Science teacher Rebecca Missler receives the Milken Educator Award at a school-wide assembly.
Our girls wrestling team became State champions!
This Week: Jan 6 - Jan 11
• No School for Students
• Teacher Work Day
Tue 7th: Per 1,2,3,L,4,5,6
• Basketball vs. Lathrop @ NPHS, 3/4:30/6/7:30 pm, BJV/GJV/BV/GV
Wed 8th: Per 2,3,SSP,L,5,6
• Regular School Day
Thu 9th: Per 1,3,SSP,L,4,6
• Regular School Day
Fri 10th: Per 1,2,SSP,L,4, 5
• Basketball vs. Hutch @ NPHS, 4:30/6 pm, BJV/BV
• Hockey @ Tok
• Nordic Skiing, Town Series #3, Birch Hill, 11 am
• Hockey @ Glenallen
Have a great week!
• Jan 7: First Day of Second Semester
• Jan 20: MLK Holiday, No School
• Jan 22: Demographer Shannon Bingham, Open House: Changing the School Start Time,
NPHS library 6:30 - 8 pm
• Jan 24: Assembly
• Jan 25: Senior Ball @ Elks Club
• Feb 6, 7, 8: Seussical the Musical