West Weekly Update
September 15, 2023
From The Principals Office
A message from Ms. Elizabeth Martinez, Principal
I am happy to share it has been a smooth start to the 2023–24 school year! We look forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children achieve their highest potential. We recognize that to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities.
We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Share school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college
During the Grade Level Behavior Expectations Assembly this week, we stressed to the student the following important information to be successful in school.
- Wear School IDs all day, every day.
- Appropriate Dress for Learning
- Tardy's will be documented, and consequences will be given starting this week.
- Outside food or drink are not allowed!
- Reminder, Proviso West is a closed campus
- Proviso West is a tobacco and drug free zone
- Encourage students to look on PowerSchool, which has the most updated schedules
- No cell phone usage in the classroom
We're excited to announce that Proviso West will host an activity fair on Wednesday, September 20, 2023, during the 8th period. This activity fair is for the freshmen class, but the information will be available for the other grade levels. With over 30 clubs available this academic year, this event is the perfect opportunity to discover new interests and hobbies. Studies have shown that participating in school activities beyond the classroom can lead to greater student success. So, parents, please encourage your child(ren) to join one or two clubs this school year. We can’t wait to see you there.
Just a friendly reminder that Homecoming is next week! We would love for all of our students to get involved and show their school spirit during Spirit Week. Attached is an informational flyer with all the details. Let's make this Homecoming one to remember!
Thank you for being partners in learning! ❤️
We do everything better together!
The district's transportation department has been working with First Student to establish bus routes for the 2023-2024 school year for all students at all three campuses.
The routes for our families is posted on the district website.
Families are encouraged to download the FirstView app to track their student's bus for its exact location. The Proviso West code is QZ7Y. See instructions below.
Athletics & Activities
Here's a look at all that is planned for our upcoming Spirit Week!
Proviso's Technology Department has been hard at work this summer, ensuring that all technology resources and support are ready and available for the start of the school year. Below is a list of common links, building IT staff, and application-specific contacts.
* Please note, Schoology courses were synced from PowerSchool to Schoology on Monday, September 4th after student schedules were released.
PowerSchool Teachers: https://pschool.pths209.org/teachers
PowerSchool Substitutes: https://pschool.pths209.org/subs/
PowerSchool Students: https://pschool.pths209.org/
PowerSchool & Clever: DeJuan Moon email@example.com
Schoology & Other Instructional Applications: Felicia Lee firstname.lastname@example.org
Proviso West IT Support: Victor Chielo email@example.com (Room D202)
Meet the Principal
On Thursday, September 14, Parents had the opportunity to meet Principal Martinez and hear about our available school technology, as well as learned how they can stay connected and informed.
Proviso School District 209 Superintendent, Dr. Karvelas and school board Members' Amanda Grant (President) and David Ocampo (Vice President) also attended the events and greeted parents.
18-22 Renaissance STAR Reading Testing during English classes
20 - Half-Day Inservice (Dismissal at 11:15am)
21 - Back-to-School Night (6:00-8:00 pm)
22 - Early Release Day (Dismissal at 1:55pm)
23 - Homecoming Parade (9:00 am)
23 - Freshman Game (11:00 am)
23 - Varsity Game (1:00 pm)
23 - College and Career Readiness Fair (9am - 3:00 pm)
28 - Bring Your Parent to School Day