Erin Moore & Taylor Hummel
Cold War- Caused from trying to prevent communism. Russia was like "lets be communist" and they started taking over other countries and US was like "no"
Containment- US policy to prevent communism in other countries.
Domino Theory- When one country becomes communist then the other countries will one by one fall to communism.
Draft- A formal demand to be part of the army.
DMZ- The boarder separating north and south Korea
General William Westmoreland- Failed to lead the US to victory during the Vietnam War.
Ho Chi Minh- Vietnamese communist leader
My Lai Massacre- US army in Vietnam slaughtered 500 unarmed civilians.
National Liberation Front-The military arm of the north Vietnam government
Ngo Dinh Diem- Former president of Vietnam and got assasinated the eve of the Vietnam war
Pentagon Papers-Documents concerning US policy and internal planning in southeast Asia from the end of WWII
Tet Offensive- Largest military campaigns during the Vietnam War
Viet Cong- Political organization/army in south Vietnam and Cambodia that fought the US and south Vietnamese governments
Vietnamization- Policy during the Vietnam war of giving the south Vietnamese government responsibility for carrying on the war.
Japan transfers all power to Ho Chi
2) 1945 - Ho Declares Independence of Vietnam
3) 1947 - Valluy Falls to Defeat Vietminh
4) 1949 - Elysee Agreement Signed
5) 1950 - US pledges $15 million to aid french
6) 1953 - France grants laos full independence
7) 1954 - Geneva Convention Agreement Announced
8) 1955 - Diem Rejects conditions of Geneva Accords, Refuses to participate in nationwide election
9) 1956 - French leave Vietnam
10) 1956 - US training south vietnamese
11) 1960 - Kennedy gets elected
12) 1962 - US military employs agent orange
13) 1963 - Diem overthrown is Murdered
14) 1966 - B-52s bomb north vietnam
15) 1968 - My Lai Massacre
Vietnam didn't have very many resources because of the herbicide
My Lai Massacre
US soldiers killed between 347 and 504 unarmed civilians
Geneva Convention Agreement announced
Prohibited the use of chemical and biological weapons in international armed conflicts.
#3 Pathways to War, The Gulf of Tonkin Incident
#4 In Their Own Words..
He helped with wounded soldiers during the vietnam war. While he was on an aircraft carrier 37 people were killed including the pilots. His job was to get those who could still fight back into the battle field. Harmon says he saw death but still did what he could to help. He also assisted the medical care of the Koreans.
Erin: Thea Rosenbaum
She was a journalist and she traveled around to write about the Vietnam War. She had to learn survival and she was trained to parachute into places to get to stories. She got to see the fights and death. The men resented her at first and called her the "little woman in the big war." But she soon earned their respect with all her mad skillz.
#5 Top Ten Songs
2) Its now or never- elvis presley
3) He'll have to go- jim reeves
4) Im sorry- Brenda Lee
5) Running bear- Johnny preston
6) Cathys Clown- Everly brothers
7) The twist- chubby checker
8) El paso- Marty Robbins
9) North to alaska- johnny horton
10) Last date- Floyd cramer
Why are these the top songs?
#6 Heroes or Villians at the my lai massacre?
William Calley was a villain because he killed a child while he was trying to run away. He was the one to start the massacre and lead the soldiers to kill the citizens as well. So overall he was the leader of the situation.