Columbia Heights Public Schools
Sept. 23, 2021
Heights Cultural Festival Saturday!
This Saturday the 25th from 2:00pm - 5:00pm in the Columbia Heights High School Gym.
R.E.A.C.H Parent Program Starting Soon!
Realizing Educational Achievement at Columbia Heights (R.E.A.C.H) is a seven week curriculum designed to help CHPS parents understand and navigate the school system while preparing students for college.
- Parents meet one night a week for 7 weeks to get resources and to learn how the Columbia Heights School District works.
- The program is offered in English and Spanish, runs from 5:30pm to 8:00pm.
- Dinner is provided at 5:30pm, and class is from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Childcare and transportation are available.
- This year’s REACH training starts on October 7 until December 9, 2021.
CHPS School Day to End Two Hours Early for Four Teacher Data Days
Fireworks After Homecoming Game
Did You Know?
You can translate this newsletter, change the text size or view in high-contrast mode! Look for the Accessibility icon and click to view all your options!
¿Sabías? ¡Puedes traducir este boletín, cambiar el tamaño del texto o verlo en modo de alto contraste! Busque el icono de Accesibilidad y haga clic para ver todas sus opciones.
Please Don't Come to School if You Aren't Feeling Well!
If you have these symptoms please do not come to school and please get tested for COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms but if you have these symptoms please stay home except to get tested or seek medical care. The Minnesota Department of Health is a good resource for more information.
Safe Return to School 2021-2022
What can you do to help us have a safer school year?
- Get vaccinated if you are age eligible
- Wear your mask consistently and appropriately! (If people are appropriately masked then it decreases the need to quarantine if they were near someone with COVID-19. This is especially important as it decreases whole classes needing to quarantine!)
- Wear your mask on the bus! Bus drivers will provide masks if you do not have one! Everyone must wear masks on the bus to protect everyone
- Stay home if you aren't feeling well or if a family member has COVID-19 symptoms
- Get tested regularly for COVID-19
- Space matters- Keep up the physical distance between you and others as much as possible
- General hygiene practices such as regular handwashing and cleaning surfaces
CHPS is committed to providing excellent educational and enrichment opportunities for our students with health and safety as a priority. CHPS will "Heighten Up!" with:
- Academic Acceleration
- Mental Health Supports
- Family and Community Engagement
- Facility Upgrades
For more information please visit our Safe Return to Learning Page on the CHPS website
CHPS Transportation and Zonar MyView Bus App Update
To set up Zonar MyView:
- Download the Zonar MyView app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Enter the above School Access Code (55421).
- Enter your child’s unique student ID. If you don't know your student's ID or aren't sure how to find it, contact your child's school.
- Enter your child(s) bus number(s). The child's bus number is listed on the postcard from the bus company and can also be found in ParentVUE.
- Create alert zones around drop-off and pick-up points.
When your child’s bus enters an alert zone, you will receive notification by email or text.
North Park Night at the CHHS Soccer Games-
An invitation for North Park families to be involved in Hylanders Athletics!
Tuesday, September 28
Boys Varsity Soccer Game @ 5 pm and Girls Varsity Soccer Game @ 7 pm
At the CHHS Stadium
Free admission! Free popcorn for NP students! Chance to win prizes in a raffle! Wear blue and gold! Special on-field event for NP students at 6:30 pm!
Valley View Night at the CHHS Soccer Game- Thursday, October 7
Homecoming Football Game with Fireworks after the game – Friday, October 8
Highland Night at the CHHS Football Game- Wednesday, October 20
“Clue- On Stage” will be our Fall Play at CHHS, auditions took place last week. If you are interested in back stage and tech crew please sign up in the Activities Office.
CA Musical is coming! Auditions will be on October 4th and 5th from 3:15-5:15pm in room 156 at CA.
NEW OPPORTUNITY for 6th-12th grade students: Ultimate Frisbee and Cross Country are being offered through ENCORE – register here
REGISTRATION OPEN for:
7th and 8th grade: Adapted Soccer
All CA students: Football - Girls Soccer
NEW- 6-12th grade: After School Strength Training
Sports Physical for all Athletics
Every athlete participating in school-year sports must have a physical on file with the Activities Office. Sports physicals are valid for three years. Download the form now.
Upcoming Home Games
Friday, September 24
7 pm Varsity Football Game vs. Patrick Henry @ CHHS Stadium
Monday, September 27
4:00 pm JV Football Game vs. Patrick Henry @ CHHS Stadium
Tuesday, September 28
4:00 pm Tennis: Girls Varsity Match vs. Holy Angels @ CHHS Tennis Court
4:30 pm Adapted Soccer: Varsity Game vs. Moundsview @ Hylander Center Gym
4:30 pm Volleyball JV/C Match vs. Brooklyn Center @ CHHS Gym
5:00 pm Soccer: Boys Varsity Game vs. St Anthony Village @ CHHS Stadium
6:00 pm Volleyball Varsity Match vs. Brooklyn Center @ CHHS Gym
7:00 pm Soccer: Girls Varsity Game vs. St Anthony Village @ CHHS Stadium
Wednesday, September 29
3:45 pm CA Girls Soccer Game vs. Forest Lake @ CA
4 pm Tennis: Girls Varsity Match vs. St Paul Johnson @ CHHS Tennis Courts
More information can be found at the CHPS Activities Website or contact the Activities Office at 763-528-4511
Upcoming CH Recreation Offerings
Here are some of many great offerings through Columbia Heights Recreation. Please go to the CH Recreation website or call their office at 763-706-3730.
Girls and Boys Basketball League
The Twin Cities Youth Basketball league will focus on instruction, skill development, and organized games with referees. Games will be played on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons. Games held at school gyms in the north metro, such as Blaine, Coon Rapids, Anoka, Spring Lake Park, etc. Uniforms included (jersey and shorts).
Practices held in the city gym at the Hylander Center (1300 49th Ave, door #42) VOLUNTEER COACHES needed!
REGISTER to get on a team ASAP, so you don’t miss out on playing in the league
Girls teams for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th grades. Register ASAP.
Boys teams for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th grades. Register by NOVEMBER.
Martial Arts 6 years old and up
Learn self-defense, kicks, stances, and Tae Kwon Do Hyung. Students will train for belt certification testing. Participants are to purchase a uniform and belt from the instructor.
Thursdays, October 28-Dec 16 (no class Nov 11 & 2) 6:15pm -7pm
Edgemoor Room, Lower level Murzyn Hall
530 Mill St. NE
Chalk Art Walk – REGISTER NOW
2021 Theme: The Great Outdoors
October 2 & 3, 9am – dusk both days
Sign up for a space around Huset Park West with a group or by yourself. Draw your work with chalk and have some creative fun with this year’s theme: “The Great Outdoors.”
OR just come to Huset Park West with friends, family, etc. to watch the art unfold. Look for signs around the park to learn how to vote for your favorites
Rec at Home: Halloween Take Home Kit
Celebrate the fun festivities in October by picking up a crafty art and Halloween-themed activity kit at the Recreation Department. Must register!
$5 per kit
Pick up at the Recreation Office in Murzyn Hall October 26 or 27 between 8am-5pm
ENCORE Spanish-English Theater
Musical Theater MN teaches students the ins and outs of musical theater: dancing, singing and acting with a focus on creativity and learning the basics! Students will work towards an end of session community performance. It is NOT mandatory to be bilingual.
9-14 years old
Saturdays, Sept 25 – Dec 2
11am-12:30pm in Murzyn Hall’s Edgemoor Room
ENCORE Olympics Drawing Workshop
Take this year’s Olympic experience to the next level and try this drawing workshop! 5 days of drawing detailed characters and scenes from the Olympics. Young Rembrandts instructors guide you through your creations
Wednesdays, Oct 6 – Nov 3 5:30-7:30pm
ENCORE Character Creations Workshop
Learn techniques used in cartooning like, special characteristics, features, exaggeration, action and personification. Create new art drawings each week
Wednesdays, Nov 10-Dec 8 5:30-7:30pm
All meals in CHPS are free for all students during the 2021-2022 school year! Please still complete the Educational Benefits Application which provides additional benefits for families and helps the District provide vital programs!
Application for Educational Benefits
Columbia Heights Public Schools offers educational benefits to qualifying families – including free and reduced-price meals – which can help both your family and your school! Though all meals are free for all students during the 2021-2022 school year, it is still very important for all families to complete this Education Benefits application as families receive additional benefits listed below and it is critically important for District funding that supports student programs.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is allowing schools to provide all meals to all students at no cost to families for the 2021-2022 school year.
Applications are not required to receive this free meal benefit, but families should still complete this application to receive other benefits, including:
· Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT), a federal temporary emergency nutrition benefit for families to purchase food.
· Reduced fees for activities, early childhood programming, college applications and more!
· Compensatory funds for the District to reduce class sizes, provide counseling and social work services and more.
· Title 1 funds for academic support.
· and more!
Invitation to Share Your Ideas with the District!
- CHPS Communications Advisory Council: this council meets three times a year to elicit input on District information and communication effectiveness. Meetings this year will be on zoom.
- CHPS Student Wellness Committee: this committee is made up of students and CHPS staff; it meets four times a year to gather input on programs in the District such as Food Service, Blooming Heights School Garden, nutrition education and on ways to support student wellness.
For more information please contact Kristen Stuenkel, Director of Communications & Community Education at email@example.com or 763.528.4515
Come Work With Us at Columbia Heights Public Schools!
Check Out Our Social Media Accounts!
We have added a handful of new social media pages for our district! We are listing all usernames for each one below! Follow and Like the pages to get updates and other fun posts from each school/department!
Facebook: Columbia Heights Public Schools
Activities and Athletics:
Facebook: Hylander Activities
Columbia Heights High School:
Facebook: Columbia Heights High School
Facebook: Columbia Academy
Facebook: North Park School for Innovation
Facebook: Valley View Elementary School
Facebook: Columbia Heights Public Schools Community Ed