The Counseling Corner
Greenbrier High School's Counseling Department Newsletter
In this edition...
- Student Shout Outs
- Parent Nights
- Academic Advising, Fall 2022
- Honor Societies, Clubs, & Organizations
- Final Exam Exemption Policy Update
- NCAA Eligibility
- Peach State Tour for Seniors
- State Superintendent's Student Advisory Council
- CSRA College Night
- UGA at Greenbrier for Seniors
- PSAT / National Merit Scholarship Program
- Recruiter Visits
- Free Planners/Agendas
Student Shout Outs!
Congratulations to Mason Pounds for playing with Ed Turner & The Number 9 at their farewell show on August 13th! What a testament to Mason's skills and dedication to his craft! We are so proud of you, Mason!
Class of 2025 (Sophomores)
- Thursday, September 8th, 6:00 p.m. in the auditorium
Class of 2024 (Juniors)
- Thursday, September 8th, 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium
Class of 2023 (Seniors)
- Monday, September 26th, 6:00 p.m. in the auditorium
- Financial aid & scholarships will be discussed
*Information will be posted on our website under "Academic Advising" for those who cannot attend the live sessions.
Academic Advising, Fall 2022
Core course selection for the 2023/2024 school year will require students' current core teachers to sign off on their choices for next year. For example, a student's current math teacher must sign off on the student's choice for a 2023/2024 math class.
For more information, please visit the counseling website and click "Academic Advising."
- NCAA DI/DII initial-eligibility academic requirements are different than the graduation requirements for Greenbrier High School.
- Not all courses offered at Greenbrier High School are accepted by the NCAA as core courses for the purpose of meeting the NCAA’s credit and GPA requirements.
- An NCAA core course GPA is not the same as the cumulative GPA on the report card and is often lower.
- The minimum NCAA core GPA requirements are more rigorous than graduation requirements. In addition, the lower your NCAA core GPA, the higher your SAT/ACT scores must be.
- Students interested in playing athletics at the collegiate level should begin tracking their NCAA core course GPA their freshman year. All semesters count towards meeting the NCAA’s academic requirements and it is not uncommon for 33 percent of core courses to be completed during freshman year.
- Counselors and coaches do not track student-athletes for NCAA initial-eligibility.
- Greenbrier High School provides all student-athletes with access to a free account with CoreCourseGPA.com to assist them in tracking their NCAA initial-eligibility progress.
Peach State Tour for Seniors
Seniors! You are invited to the 2022 Peach State Tour on September 8th at 6:00 p.m. At this event, you will learn more about Augusta University, Georgia State University, Georgia Tech, and the University of Georgia. The event is free but space is limited. Click here to register and secure your spot.
State Superintendent's Student Advisory Council
CSRA College Night
UGA at Greenbrier for Seniors
Juniors who are interested in the National Merit Scholarship Program must take the PSAT as a junior. Juniors must register and pay $19.00 through RevTrak in order to take the PSAT at school on October 12th.
- Army recruiter at all lunches on September 12th
- Lander University representative at all lunches on September 16th
- Navy recruiter at all lunches on September 21st
September 2nd: Digital Learning Day (click here for information)
September 5th: Labor Day Holiday
September 6th: Progress Reports
September 8th: Class of 2025 Parent Night, 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium / Class of 2024 Parent Night, 7:00 p.m. in the Auditorium
September 12th: Army recruiter at all lunches
September 15th: CSRA College Night, 5:00-8:30 p.m. at the James Brown Arena
September 16th: Lander University representative at all lunches
September 19th-21st: YouScience for sophomores
September 20th: UGA Informational Session for Seniors, 1:00 p.m. in the Media Center
September 21st: Navy recruiter at all lunches
September 26th: Class of 2023 Parent Night, 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium
October 6th: End of First Nine Weeks
October 10th & 11th: Fall Break for Students
October 12th: PSAT
October 13th: ASVAB
October 14th: Report Cards
November 10th: Progress Reports
November 11th: Veterans Day Holiday
November 21st-25th: School Break for Thanksgiving
December 15th, 16th, 19th, & 20th: First Semester Exams
December 20th: End of Second Nine Weeks / First Semester
December 21st-January 4th: School Closed for Winter Break
January 5th: Third Nine Weeks / Second Semester Begins