Schweitzer Elementary Stinger Scoop
WEEK OF JANUARY 30, 2023
SWBA MEETING WEDNESDAY 4:00 PM
- Please join us on Wednesday, 2/1 at 4:00 PM for our SWBA (Schweitzer Worker Bee Association) February meeting! We need assistance planning for our February and March events.
- SWBA will be announcing the individual winner of our Principal of the Day raffle and the winning class early this week! We'll post the results on Class DOJO and announce to the school.
SUPERHEROES FOR GRAYSON DAY FRIDAY
- One of our Stingers, Grayson, is undergoing treatments against cancer. Grayson loves superheroes and he dresses up as a different superhero on his treatment day. The other kids undergoing treatment have grown to love seeing what superhero is visiting them on that day. Channel 4 will be doing a story soon on Grayson and how even during his own battle, he is bringing joy to other kids. We'll be sure to update on Class DOJO when this story airs.
- To show our support for Grayson and his family, let's all dress up as superheroes on Friday! All students can wear a superhero costume, clothing or wear RED or BLUE, the colors of Grayson's favorite, Spiderman.
- We are so proud of Grayson...he is our very own SCHWEITZER SUPERHERO!
VISION & HEARING SCREENINGS CONTINUE THIS WEEK
- Technicians from the Wayne County Health Department will visit Schweitzer this week and next to conduct vision and hearing screening for our Young 5's, Kindergarten and 1st grade students.
- This is done each year for these grade levels.
- The Health Department will contact families direct if a student might be in need of a further screening.
COLD WEATHER RECESS GEAR
Please make sure your child comes to school with a winter coat, hat, gloves, snow pants and boots each day.
Fresh air and recess are still needed in the winter months. We continue to go outside for short recesses as long as the temperature, with wind chill factored in, is 20 degrees or above. When it is 19 degrees or below, with the wind chill, we have indoor recess.
Students may arrive at school at 8:15 AM as door and hallway supervision starts then.
IMPORTANCE OF DAILY ATTENDANCE
- Help your child be successful at school by getting them to school on time each day. When students are late or unneccessarily miss days of school, it negatively impacts their learning. They miss out on important learning, socializing with friends and they fall out of their daily rountine.
- We do understand that students get sick sometimes and need to stay home from school to rest and that family emergencies do occur but if your child is healthy, we appreciate families sending their children to school on-time each and every day. Thank you for supporting your child's education!
2601 Treadwell Avenue, Westland, MI 48180
Main Office 734-419-2750
Attendance Line 734-419-2757
Office Hours 7:50 AM-3:50 PM
Kristen Brickey, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Sentz, Secretary email@example.com
Brandy LaPerriere, Attendance Monitor firstname.lastname@example.org
ATTENDANCE LINE 734-419-2757
It's important to be on time every day for school. When students are late, they miss out on important learning time. Students who are late and arrive at 9:15 AM or later are marked absent.
If your child is going to be absent, all families MUST call our attendance line to report their child’s absence. Please leave the date, your name, your child’s name and teacher and reason for absence on the line. We review these calls at the beginning of the school day by 9:00 AM.
Students picked up before 2:45 PM each day are marked absent for the afternoon for the same noted reason.
We cannot accommodate daily early pick ups unless you have an emergency or an appointment.
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL SAFETY
Please drive carefully, cautiously and slow in our school parking lot.
The drop off lane in front of the school is for 30 second drop offs only. Please do not park in either the front drop off lane or bus lane in the morning or at dismissal.
If you are crossing Glenwood, please use the crosswalk where our crossing guard is located. Also, please go the speed limit on Glenwood and be prepared to stop for the crossing guard. This is how we keep everyone safe.
A huge thank you to Mr. Smith for helping keep our drop off lane and school parking lot crosswalk safe!
Students may enter our school from either the main entrance or their grade level doors at 8:15 AM and families say their goodbyes outside of our school.
Remember we love pets but all pets, especially dogs, are not allowed on school grounds.
KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS
Help earn money for our school by registering your Kroger Rewards card simply by visiting http://www.kroger.com
Once logged into your Kroger account, you can search for Schweitzer Elementary by name or XA928 and then click enroll.
ONLINE SCHWEITZER SPIRIT WEAR STORE
If you’d like to order spirit wear, see this below AKA Sports link.