Lets explore the 6 different types of chemical reactions
The six types of reaction are one of many different ways to categorize chemical reactions. We learn about the types of reaction that allows us to figure out what will happen in a chemical reaction.
1. Synthesis reaction
- A synthesis reaction is a production of chemical compounds that are combined to make a complex one
- An example of an everyday life is making a turkey sandwich, you start with two slices of bread and a slice of turkey, As a result you end up with a sandwich.
- Ex: A+B=C
- An example of a chemical reaction occurs when sodium and chlorine gas combine to make sodium chloride
- Ex: 2 Na+ Cl2= NaCl
2. Decomposition Reaction
- A Decomposition reaction is the opposite of a synthesis reaction, a complex molecule breaks down to make simpler ones
- An example of an everyday life is the decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen
- Ex: 2 H2O= 2 H2+ O2
- An example of chemical reaction is the explosive decomposition of sodium azide, into gas and sodium after an impact that can save a life
3. Single-Replacement Reaction
- A single-replacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction where an element reacts with a compound and takes the place of another element in that compound
- An example of an everyday life is the statue of liberty because its made of steel which has helped us advance throughout the years with the cities,it occurs between the verdigris and the iron support transforms the exterior of the statue back to copper, The support oxides becomes rusted.
- Chemical reaction takes place with different types of metals or halogens that come into contact with one another, such as zinc dissolving in an acidic solution. Zinc displaces hydrogen from the compound, as a result of salt and hydrogen gas
4. Double-Replacement Reaction
- A double replacement reaction is a chemical reaction where two reactant ionic compounds exchange ions to form two new product compounds with the same ions
- An example of an everyday life of double replacement reactions are Hydrogen chloride mixed with sodium oxide. It produces sodium chloride (table salt) with water.
- ex: HCl + NaOH ---> NaCl + H2O
5. Combustion Reaction
- Combustion reaction is a type of chemical reaction where a compound and an oxidant is reacted to produce heat and a new product
- An example of an everyday life is the burning of coal, combustion reactions are very common because oxygen reacts with many substances. Coal is composed of carbon, So when the coal is heated it reacts with oxygen in the atmosphere and burns. As a result it gives a large amount of heat, And to this day is used as a source of heat and energy
- ex: CH20 (organic matter) + 02 (oxygen) = H20 (water vapor) + CO2 ( Carbon dioxide)
6. Hydrolysis Reaction
- Hydrolysis is a chemical process in which a molecule of water is added to a substance. Sometimes this addition causes both substances and water molecule to split into two parts due to reaction with water
- An example of an everyday life is the digestion of our food which is a great example of hydrolysis because it's the process of using water to break down a molecule into to parts. Breaking sugar molecules down in our body is the release of stored energy from ATP.