January 23-27 2023
Inclement Weather/Bus Cancellations
There are three ways to access SchoolMessenger. If you are having trouble, please call the school (613 378 2578).
blue SchoolMessenger App on your mobile device;
SchoolMessenger website https://go.schoolmessenger.ca
automated phone system at 1-855-257-9349.
Reason for Absence? Select:
Bus Cancellation if your child is bussed
Inclement Weather if your child walks but will not attend school
When students are marked absent by their teachers but the absence hasn’t been reported by parents/guardians, the Safe Arrival system will attempt to reach parents/guardians by text/telephone/email to confirm the absence. If you receive a call, enter the reason for the absence (Bus Cancellation or Inclement Weather).
Books to Take Home
Wednesday, Jan. 25- Bell Let's Talk Day
Thursday, Jan. 26--Hot Lunch (Burger Day)
Monday, Jan. 30--School Advisory Council (SAC) Meeting (6:15-7:15 at the school)
Bottle Drive Thank you!
David Archibald Concert
Safe Student Travel Starts With You!
Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) – Enforcement Resuming
- Under the ISPA, guardians of students attending school in Ontario must provide proof of immunization or a valid exemption from immunization to KFL&A Public Health.
- Parents/Guardians of students who do not have an up-to-date immunization record or valid exemption on file will receive a notice from KFL&A Public Health by the end of January.
- Due to delays and interruptions in receiving immunizations during the COVID-19 pandemic, enforcement of the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) program was not implemented in 2021 or 2022. The ISPA immunization record review is underway again.
Please direct any related ISPA questions to KFL&A Public Health’s Immunization Team
at (613) 549-1232, ext. 1451.
Queen's University Q-Camps bursary applications are open until February 1, 2023. Families should fill out this Q-Camps Bursary Application Form. All bursary decisions will be made after February 1, 2023 and before registration opening day on February 8, 2023.
Attention Grade 8 Families- Choices At 9
- There are different programs that are offered for grade 9 students within LDSB. If you wish to learn more about these options please go to LDSB Choices at 9.
- While Newburgh PS is within the NDSS area, students can apply to programs at different schools. You may wish to explore the different options with your child.
- Grade 8 Parent information sessions with deadlines to register for programs. See poster above.
Government of Canada's NEW interim Canada Dental Benefit
This benefit allows families to receive up-front, direct payments up to $650 per year, per child, for two years (totalling up to $1300) for dental care services. Canada Revenue Agency will be processing the applications and payments for the benefit.
Families are eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Age: child(ren) under 12
- Family income: adjusted net income of less than $90,000. Note: Applicants need to have filed income tax and currently receive the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) for their child.
- Dental insurance: do not have access to private dental insurance. Note: Families who are already covered by Healthy Smiles Ontario will still be eligible for the interim Canada Dental Benefit if they incur out of pocket costs for dental care services for their child.
- Dental expenses: have, or will have, out of pocket dental care expenses.
Visit Canada.ca/Dental for more information.
Limestone Tutoring Resources January 9 – March 30
Monday – Thursday 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
As part of the Ministry of Education Tutoring Grant, LDSB is extending an afterschool drop-in Virtual Tutoring Program through the winter months for Limestone students in Grades 1 to 10.
Grade 1 to 6 - Build literacy and/or math skills. 3 tutors per night. (20 min sessions)
Grade 7 to 10 - Math skills and support. 3 tutors per night. (30 min sessions)
Grade 7 to 10 – Homework help. 2 tutors per night. (30 min sessions)
· Student must be logged in to MS Teams using their Limestone account.
· Click on link for age group and subject support. (links below)
· Sessions are on a first-come, first-served model.
· Wait in virtual lobby until tutor invites student into the session.
Grade 1-6 Math Link 1 Grade 7-10 HW Link 1
Grade 1-6 Math Link 3
See below for Guidelines.
1. The student must be logged in to MS Teams using their Limestone account. The student’s camera and microphone should be on so that the student and tutor can communicate effectively.
2. The student should have the materials they need with them (e.g., students should have their homework assignment). The student should try to set up in an area in the home with minimal distractions for the tutoring
3. If a tutor is already working with a student, subsequent students will be placed in the lobby of the meeting and then be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis once the tutoring session for the previous student is completed. Tutoring sessions for Grades 1-6 will be about 20 minutes long and may be extended, if no other students are waiting. For Grades 7-10 sessions will start at 30 minutes and may be extended if no students are waiting.
4. No tutoring on PA Days or Holidays.
Online Tutoring and Learning Resources
Several tutoring and learning resources are available online to support students and families, including:
- Ministry of Education Learn at Home
- Ministry of Education Curriculum and Resources for Parents
- TVO Learn at Home Resources (English) - Over 2,100 curriculum-aligned, grade, and subject-specific learning activities from Kindergarten to Grade 8 (including for the new Science and Technology curriculum) and Grade 9 to 12 searchable high school content for over 140 secondary school courses.
- TFO IDÉLLO, apprendre à la maison (French)
- TVO Mathify - Free 1:1 Grade 4 to 11 Math Tutoring with Ontario Certified Teachers. Available Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sundays 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Students/families can sign up, select a tutor, and start immediately.
Technology Support for Virtual School/Remote Learning
If you require technology support, please visit our Virtual School / Remote Learning Technology Support webpage.
Additional resources to support virtual learning options: