CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
December 23, 2021
A Message from Ms. Santa
On behalf of the Faculty and Staff, I wish all of the CDW families a healthy and memorable Holiday Recess.
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
Ugly/Crazy Sweater Day and Pizza Parties
Thank you to the PTO for organizing the Pizza Parties for the CDW students, and thank you to all of the families that sent in additional goodies for the students to enjoy!
Math Assessments: Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Geometry Students
Students in Mr. Sammarco and Mr. Clark's Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Ms. Reiser's Geometry classes are scheduled to take mid-year benchmark assessments on Tuesday, January 18th during Periods 1-3. These assessments will offer students an opportunity to show what they have learned in their courses thus far. They also will offer the teachers an opportunity to see what students have mastered and what will need to be re-taught. The Algebra I mid-year assessment results are used to assist with placement decisions in Grade 9 at NVOT. Please be sure your child(ren) gets a good night's rest prior to this assessment.
Science Assessment: Grade 7
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and updates from CDW's Student Manager
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
December through January - VOLLEYBALL
January through February - BADMINTON
March through April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year, so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
Charles DeWolf Middle School will continue to follow and enforce the following safety measures in respect to indoor athletics.
1. Basketball players are permitted to play without a mask when they are in the game.
2. Players who are on the bench are required to wear their masks.
3. All spectators are required to wear a mask when attending an indoor sports activity.
Any questions, please contact Mr. Lauriello @ Lauriello@nvnet.org.
Volleyball Players: 4th through 8th Grade Girls
Please see the information below about the 2022 Winter Volleyball Clinics at NV - Old Tappan and Demarest High Schools. These clinics are open to 4th through 8th grade girls. Feel free to share with neighbors and classmates in the seven Northern Valley communities.
Please make sure you register by clicking HERE by January 5th.
Harry Potter Read-Aloud
A sign out sheet will be available each Tuesday in the cafeteria. Students must sign out of lunch to attend.
8th Grade Updates from Mrs. Richardson
All information regarding applying to other high schools is posted on Mrs. Richardson's Google Classroom. Additionally, all information that pertains to NVOT is also posted in her classroom, including any communication from NVOT. Every 8th Grader has been invited to the class and has access to the information.
If you have any further questions, please email Mrs. Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8TH GRADE REMINDERS
For those who could not attend the 8th Grade NVOT Q&A Session, or for those who wish to revisit any part of it, you may view the 8th Grade Open House Q &A Recording.
Also, NVOT will be hosting a future virtual event (planned for January 12, 2022, at 6:00 pm) about high school scheduling.
Other important sites:
The 2022 NASAO International Aviation Art Contest
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge
CDW Clubs 2021-2022
More clubs will be added as their schedules are confirmed.
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Chromebook Insurance Information
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) need assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Friday, December 24th-Friday, December 31st~ Holiday Recess
Tuesday, January 4th-Friday, January 7th~ Musical Auditions 3:30 PM
Monday, January 17th~ Martin Luther King Day: School Closed for students; Professional Development for Staff
Wednesday, January 19th~ AMC 8 Math Competition, 3:00 PM (invite only)
Wednesday, January 19th~ District-Based Planning Team Meeting with Dr. DaGiau, 1PM and 7PM in the BOE Conference Room
Thursday, January 27th~ Marking Period 2 Ends (Report Cards will be viewable via the Parent Portal on February 1st at 12PM.)