THE MENTORING MINUTE
Welcome to the August Edition of the KMEA Mentoring Minute!
This monthly communication is offered by your KMEA mentoring team to support you with timely information and resources. Your success is important to us and we are here to help you in whatever way we can. Please feel free to contact your District Mentoring Chair, State Mentoring Chairs or KMEA leadership with questions, concerns and ideas.
There are links to resources that every music educator should have at their fingertips at the bottom of this newsletter. Take some time to review this important information and save it for future reference!
Join us for a virtual Mentoring Hangout on Saturday, August 29th!
Grab a comfy chair, a cup of coffee, and your fuzzy slippers. This will be a casual opportunity for you to talk to other first and second year music educators. A few third year teachers and some mentors will be there too!
Fall District Mentoring Meetings for Beginning Music Educators
- East Central District: September 8 via Zoom, 5:30 pm. Fall Business meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. Zoom link coming soon.
- Northeast District: September 14 via Zoom, 6:00 pm. Fall Business meeting begins at 7:00 p.m. Zoom Link coming soon.
- Southeast District: August 1, Arma High School, 7:00 p.m. Connections were made and a great time was had by all!!
- North Central District: August 26 via Zoom, Downbeat Meeting. 5:30 social, 5:45 Business Meeting, Zoom link coming soon. Mentoring meeting TBA.
- South Central District: TBA - this information will be updated as soon as it is available.
- Northwest District: TBA - this information will be updated as soon as it is available.
- Southwest District: TBA - this information will be updated as soon as it is available.
Mentoring Hangouts - via Zoom
- Saturday, August 29, 10:30-11:30. Click HERE to join the hangout. Passcode: Connect
- Saturday, September 26, Time TBA. Zoom link coming soon
KMEA Mentoring Conference - via GoToWebinar
- October 24, 2020. More info coming soon.
NEKMEA: Anne Neal firstname.lastname@example.org
NCKMEA: Jamie Rogers email@example.com
NWKMEA: Bill Schick firstname.lastname@example.org
SCKMEA: Gretchen Bixler and Ron Chronister email@example.com
SEKMEA: Mary Jo Harper firstname.lastname@example.org
SWKMEA: Shara Bane email@example.com
UPCOMING DATES AND DEADLINES
Check out the KMEA State Calendar HERE.
Check out the KSHSAA music page HERE.
Check out KMEA District dates and deadlines for your District KMEA below:
SUPPORT FOR STARTING SCHOOL
As you enter the classroom this year (whatever that may look like) it will be helpful to have a wide range of resources available at your finger tips. In addition to your KMEA Mentoring Chairs (for whom you only need to reach out), the first KMEA Mentoring Summer Summit provided a comprehensive resource list. We would like to share it with you again. Visit these sites for information, ideas and possibilities as need arises.
- Instructional Models for music education (face-to-face, virtual, mixed)
- Standards-based instruction ideas
- Beginning Instrumental instruction ideas
Under the FOR TEACHERS tab/heading (top left)
- · Covid-19 guidelines
- · Lesson plans
- · Virtual learning resources
- · PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (free) webinars/classes
- · Publications offered for NAfME members
- Mentoring Program (new teacher handbook)
- Calendar (important dates for the school year)
- All-State Honor Groups
- Conferences (In-Service Workshop)
- vetted by Kansas Fine Arts Coordinators based on resources available as of July 20, 2020.
Kansas Orff Chapter - KOC
- One Page KSHSAA MUSIC-SPECIFIC recommendations: feel free to send the entire page to admins.
MANY subject-specific groups are available on FB, Instagram and Twitter. Several groups have members who offer FREE RESOURCES!