Grade 4 News
Newsletter #1: How We Express Ourselves
UOI #3 How We Express Ourselves
An inquiry into the ways in which we discover and express ideas, feelings, nature, culture, beliefs and values; the ways in which we reflect on, extend and enjoy our creativity; our appreciation of the aesthetic.
Central idea: Poetry allows us to convey common emotions and ideas to each other.
Key concepts: Form, Function, Perspective
Related concepts: poetry, creative expression, communication, ideas, emotions
Lines of inquiry:
- Poetic devices (function)
- Types of poetry (form)
- Themes of poetry (reflection)
What Are We Learning This Unit?
Unit of Inquiry
In science, we will look explore how sound works. In one investigation will explore how sound and vibration are related. We'll make a paper cup telephone to see sound and vibration in action. Then we will explore the role that air plays in enabling a sound vibration to travel by creating a model of sound vibration. Finally we will discover that sound is a wave. We will do an activity where we model the relationship between a sound’s wavelength and its pitch.
- Identify factors that make up a number less than 100
- Identify multiples, prime numbers, and composite numbers
- Divide three- and four-digit numbers by one-digit numbers, using different methods (area model, standard algorithm, etc)
We are also building our understanding of fraction concepts, including the following:
- Fractions greater than 1
- Adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers by using different strategies
Click the buttons for more information about each particular topic.
In this UOI, each group will be working on the new Arabic workbook (العربية بين يديك) based on their level, and most of the focusing will be on reading, talking and listening. The audios will be posted on MB daily and each student got one copy of the work.
- Students will learn how they can express themselves and their feeling in Arabic, use the rhyming words to make their own poem.
- Students will also discuss poetry patterns in Arabic.
- They will learn how they can use the following words; أنا سعيد- أنا حزين – أنا أحب- أنا لا أحب
- The request and exclamation (الطلب والتعجب);
معذرة ، هل يمكننى ، ما أروع ، ما أحسن ، تفضل
- Study an example from the poem of Hassan Ibn Thabit: وأَحسنُ منكَ لم ترَ قطُّ عيني ** وَأجْمَلُ مِنْكَ لَمْ تَلِدِ النّسَاءُ خلقتَ مبرأً منْ كلّ عيبٍ ** كأنكَ قدْ خلقتَ كما تشاءُ
- They will continue their working based on the group levels.
In this UOI, students will focus exclusively on the Shamail or salient features of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. The objective of this is to teach them about the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and create a personal relationship with the Prophet. We will discuss loving the Prophet and the importance of following his Sunnah. Students will study a poem celebrating the greatness of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ from the poem of Hassan Ibn Thabit.
The etiquettes of expressing ourselves.
- Read and memorize Surat Al-Hujuraat with fluency and Tajweed.
- Know the general meaning of Surat Al-Hujuraat and the reasons for the revelation.
Students will create landscape artwork using painting techniques while exploring further the color theory.
They will also observe and reflect on the function of watercolor components: pigments, water and paper.
Targeted MSDE Standards:
1. Perceiving and Responding: Aesthetic Education:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to perceive, interpret, and respond to ideas, experiences, and the environment through visual art.
2. Identify and compare ways in which selected artworks represent what people see, know, feel, and imagine
- Create and describe artworks that communicate mood and point of view
Grade 4 Team
- Ms. Shabana Ahmed - firstname.lastname@example.org (HMRM)
- Ms. Ibrahim - email@example.com (AQI)
- Ms. Taame - firstname.lastname@example.org (Art)
- Ms. Ali - email@example.com (PE)