Nov 2021 National News
Stride Innovation Challenge: My Planet, My Neighborhood
Join students across the country in our first ever Innovation Challenge to share your big ideas. Innovation is about creativity, problem-solving, and working together. This year’s theme—My Planet, My Neighborhood—asks students to consider their solutions to today’s environmental issues.
· Open to students in 9th–12th grade
· Students outside of Stride K12-powered schools can also participate
· Work alone, with a partner, or on a team of three
· State, regional, and national winners
· Final stage of the contest at Stride Headquarters
· Prizes from $100 to $1,000 Amazon e-gift cards and more
· Registration open from September 1, 2021 through November 30, 2021
Who Loves Minecraft?!
There are three themes for the month of November, and there will be one winner per grade band (K-2nd, 3rd-5th, 6th-8th, 9th-12th) who will receive a $50 Amazon e-gift card for their winning submission. Only one entry per student, per theme, is acceptable.
November Challenges Are:
Link to enter this challenge is HERE or clicking the Minecraft image.
Students and Parents – Learn How to Build an Online Profile on Tallo for Students to Get Matched with Jobs, Internships, Scholarships, College Programs, & More!
Friday, November 12, 2021 | 12:00 PM EST
Join this interactive workshop to get practical advice on building a strong Tallo profile from Stride’s Career Coaches. During this live session, you’ll also participate in exercises to identify your strengths, skills and unique personal stories that boost your content and improve your profile completion rate.
It’s quick and easy. Get Started with Tallo Now.
Engineering and Computer Science Virtual College Fair
November 17, 2021 | 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST
We’re inviting thousands of engineering and computer science focused high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors nation-wide to learn more about your college! This audience has shown specific interest in healthcare oriented careers on Tallo. The event is powered by Ping, an app that recreates the experience of a virtual college fair and matches colleges and students based on mutual interests or qualifications.
Learn About Tallo's Free Digital Portfolio Platform
Join Emily from Tallo on November 18th at 3:00 PM EST to learn more about Tallo's free digital portfolio platform for students, age 13+. The Tallo platform helps students create their digital portfolios to showcase their future goals and plans, extracurricular activities, academic successes, and skills. Using the student dashboard students can match with colleges and companies nationwide for internship, scholarship, and post-secondary education opportunities.
High School Students Now Have Access to Student Success Coaching for College and Career Prep Advice – Schedule Your Session to Reserve Your Spot
High school students at Stride K12-powered public schools have exclusive access to our Success Coaches. They meet virtually with students to offer advice on creating resumes, networking, interviewing, financial aid, college preparation, internships, and more—all at no cost. Learn more and schedule your session here.
Social Emotional Learning - Serving Others
The Live to Give Mindset teaches the importance of serving others. This mindset also teaches us that the greatest gift we can ever give is to find and leverage our unique genius to maximize our positive impact on the world, knowing that good things will be returned to us in kind. In the lessons for this mindset, we guide students to think about the impact they want to make and the legacy they want to leave.
The four critical components of Live to Give:
- Stretch Yourself - every day to be the best person you can be every day. If you live your best life every day, you will benefit others and the world around you. What can you do today to make sure you are being your best self?
- Make a Difference - The quickest and easiest way to feel better and become happier is to help someone. You can start today by making a difference in every little way you can. Hold the door open for someone, pick up a piece of trash you see in the hallway, give your friend a compliment… the possibilities are endless!
- Receive Gracefully - Often, we are reluctant to let others help us. If this is something you struggle with, work on just saying “thank you” when someone offers to do something for you or compliments you. Understanding the power of not just giving, but also receiving will prepare you for all that living your dreams will be sending your way.
- Create a Legacy - What do you want people to think when they hear your name? That you’re a good friend? That you’re kind? That you work hard? Whatever it is, that’s your legacy! Make sure you are cultivating that reality in your everyday actions.
Shared Experiences in the National Learning Coach Community!
Check out the new Shared Experiences in the National Learning Coach community – where you can connect with other Learning Coaches with similar interests. You can also join our new weekly LC social sessions!
Get more details in the National Learning Coach community. Download the K12 app, log in using your Learning Coach credentials, and join the National LC Community. #learningcoachlife
National Learning Coach Community
Join thousands of Learning Coaches in the National Learning Coach Community within the K12 App. This virtual village has been built to help Learning Coaches:
- Access helpful resources
- Meet and message other LCs
- Connect their students with new friends
- Receive and share advice, ideas and encouragement
- Join interactive discussions, challenges, community building events and live guest discussion board moderators
Download the K12 app, log in using your Learning Coach credentials and join the National LC Community. #learningcoachlife
Learn more at www.learningcoachlife.com
National Learning Coach Programming
RECEIVE SUPPORT AS A NEW LEARNING COACH!
We are honored you chose a K12-powered school for your student(s)! We strive to provide you with helpful content, resources, and connections to be successful in your important role as a Learning Coach.
Please visit our K12 National Learning Coach Programming Newsletter frequently to view the latest Learning Coach sessions and information.
K12 On Learning Podcast
Each episode can be enjoyed here.
You can also find us and subscribe to Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and others. Find us on the STRIDE/K12 website! Look for our Podcast Cover, as shown above!
Each podcast has an average download of 100 unique listeners and over 100 re-listens.
Our audience is listening on Google Chrome, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, iTunes, and Stitcher, to name just a few. The podcast is now featured on the carousel banner on the K12.com website.
Are you listening? Please subscribe today and leave a review. We would love to hear from you.
If you are interested in being featured on the K12 On Learning podcast or know a student, family, or professional you think would make a great guest, please email Heidi Higgins at email@example.com
Stay Connected on the Go!
Explore K12 on your smartphone or tablet! And stay tuned, we're continually adding new app features.
The K12 app is a great resource for parents and legal guardians, keeping you in the loop starting with your online school search to completing the enrollment process to the last day of the school year and beyond!
With the K12 app, you'll have the power to:
- Start and complete enrollment
- Track your student's progress†
- View your schedule†
- Log daily attendance†
- Receive instant notifications
- Communicate your plans for future school years
The K12 app experience may vary by school. If you have questions, call 866.571.4316 for information.
†This feature is only applicable in some schools.