Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week In Band (Sept 9-13, 2019)
Week One Is In The Books!
Hello PMMS Band Families,
We had a GREAT start to the year! We were able to get 40 more students started on their instruments. Many thanks to music educators Ken Paris and Victoria Rockman for coming in to assist. At 257 students, this is the largest number of students enrolled in band in our school's history! We are thrilled to have them and promise to work hard to provide them with a world-class education through music.
The Sun Prairie Band Booster Lesson Academy is a program that brings gifted private lesson teachers to Patrick Marsh on Thursdays after school. Students benefit from one-on-one instruction with these musical specialists. Private lessons are a great way to supper charge musical growth. We encourage you to learn more and reach out with questions. Registration information is included in this newsletter below.
Weekly school band lessons start this week for 7th graders and our 6th grade team building events take place this week after school. Please take a minute to read about those items below and let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Band Lessons Start This Week*
Band Lessons will start this week for 7th graders. *Our 6th graders will start lessons the following week. These lessons are where we teach and learn individual instrument curriculums and technique and where much of our assessment takes place. Students can find their lesson time on our band lesson schedule. This schedule will be posted in the band room each week with updates. I will also send out an email later tonight to each family with your child's specific lesson time. Your child will receive two orange lesson passes this week. We would recommend keeping one in their Chromebook case and the other in their locker. This pass will serve as a reminder and allow them to come down for their lesson. Students should arrive 5 minutes before their lesson time so they are ready at the time indicated. We only have 10 minutes with each student so we need to be efficient.
6th Grade Team Building Afternoons
The team building will go from 3-4 pm in the PMMS Band Room and Cafeteria. The activity bus will be available for those students who normally ride the bus.
Tuesday, Sept 10 - 6th Grade Brass (trumpets, trombone, euphonium, tuba)
Wednesday, Sept 11 - 6th Grade Percussion and Woodwinds (flute, clarinet)
Practice At Lunch!
- Students need to come directly to the band room.
- No food or beverage is allowed in the band room.
- Students need to be practicing.
- Students can only come down to practice if they finish lunch with 10 or more minutes remaining during the lunch period.
**Students may also practice before or after school most days!
The Week Ahead
7th Lessons Begin
Tuesday, Sept 10 (Day 2)
6th Brass Team Building - 3-4:00 PM
Wednesday, Sept 11 (Day 1)
6th Woodwind/Percussion Team Building - 3-4:00 PM
Thursday, Sept 12 (Day 2)
Friday, Sept 13 (Day 1)
Band Lesson Academy Sign-Up NOW OPEN!
The Band Lesson Academy is sponsored by the Sun Prairie Band Boosters. The Lesson Academy was created to provide convenient access to quality private instrument instruction for students in the Sun Prairie Band Program. The program is designed to give 6th and 7th grade students access to one-on-one instruction on their instrument with professional musicians/teachers that specialize on specific instruments.
- This is an Optional activity...not required!
- Lessons take place at Patrick Marsh on Thursdays between 3-5 PM
- Students can remain at school in the band room until their lesson time.
- There is an activity bus to take normal bus riders home every Thur. at 4:20 pm
- Lessons cost $16 per lesson.
- Lessons are 20 minutes in length.
- Payments are done online via PayPal. You can choose to pay in one lump sum or divided into four equal payments.
- We have AMAZING private teachers on virtually all instruments this year. Click on the link below to read more about them!
FOR MORE INFORMATION & TO MEET THE TEACHERS CLICK HERE: https://www.spbb.org/patrick-marsh-lesson-academy-teachers.html
TO SIGN UP.....please register on the main Band Lesson Academy page: https://www.spbb.org/spbb-lesson-academy.html
Once you have completed this Mr. Gleason will contact you to set up a specific lesson time.
Don't delay - Lessons start Thursday, October 17th! We will fill spots on a first-come, first served basis!
PS - You can earn credit in your child's band account to pay for lessons by working at one of the upcoming Badger Concession Stands and/or selling Bucky Books through our Band Boosters. For more information about working concessions reach out to Andy Ruplinger at Concessionschairs@spbb.org. For information about Bucky Books reach out to Shana Geidl at CouponBooks@spbb.org
A limited number of scholarships will also be available to those with a financial need. Click to link to apply: https://forms.gle/RyyxGY4YLsWjM6Cb6
Permission Slip Information
Our trips can be found on our band calendar (see tab on bottom of newsletter to download), but here it is in a nutshell:
Oct 10 - 7th Band to UWEC
Jan. 9 - EPOCH Sound Pep Band Night at SPHS (for interested 6th & 7th graders)
Feb 14 - MS Jazzfest at CHUMS for 7th jazz students
Feb 20 - 7th Band to UWW
School Lesson Procedures
1. Students will be scheduled for lessons during the first week of classes. Lessons will meet on the same day throughout the year. Lessons will begin on Mon., Sept 9
2. Each lesson grade will be determined based on the following: Timeliness, Materials, Assignment Completion. (See “Band Lesson Rubric”)
3. Students are responsible for lesson attendance. Your lesson teacher will not come and get you from class.
4. If you miss a lesson you need to make up the lesson before your next scheduled lesson.
5. Students who are absent on their scheduled lesson day may make up that lesson at a mutually convenient time (before or after school) within one week of the date of the missed lesson.
6. Students who have prearranged absences (vacations, etc.) will be allowed to make up their lesson before or after their planned absence. Please see your lesson teacher to schedule these lessons.
7. Students who are absent on a planned fieldtrip need not make up their lesson. If a student desires to make up the lesson, they make contact the lesson teacher.
8. Attached is more information about our Sun Prairie Booster Band Lesson Academy. A year of lessons would make a GREAT gift idea (and doesn’t need batteries!). It truly is a gift that keeps giving!
Sun Prairie Middle School Honors Band
Going on its thirteenth year, the SPMS Honors Band is a wonderful opportunity for your young musician. The honors band is a one day event taking place at Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School on Saturday, November 16th from 8:30 am-8 pm Students need to complete a recorded audition to be considered for the honors band. Honor Band Information can be found on the SPBB.org website or by clicking HERE and audition requirements can be found HERE. Audition recordings are due October 16th. Online registration opens October 1st on the website. Mr. Gleason and Mrs. Haraldson will help interested students get ready for the audition.
Concert Attendance Policy
Concerts are an extension of the band classroom and the learning that takes place every day. Music was created to be shared and not performed in isolation (or in the band room only). For this reason, we need to perform for an audience in order to share the wealth of learning that has taken place. This sharing helps the students to bring closure to the learning process and also propels them towards the next step in the journey. Student participation in concerts is vital to the success of all the students involved. Please make every effort to have your child be a part of these experiences. Sporting events/practices and other extracurricular activities are not acceptable reasons to miss a performance. If you have a reason to miss any performance, please contact your teacher as soon as possible prior to the concert date.
September 10 6th Brass Team Building 2:50-4:00 PM
September 11 6th Woodwind/Percussion Team Building 2:50-4:00 PM
October 8 Fall Band Concert 6:30 PM (6th grade) 7:30 PM (7th Grade)
October 10 7th Grade Band Clinic at UW-Eau Claire
October 17 Band Lesson Academy Begins 2:00-5:00 PM