By Mason Shu
What are the signs and symptoms of pubic lice?
- may see visible tiny tan to grayish-white insects crawling on pubic hair
- Nits - louse eggs, tiny oval-shaped yellow to white blobs clinging to hair
- bluish-grayish marks on thighs and pubic area from bites
- intense itching
What is the treatment for pubic lice?
Treatment options include:
- nit combs to remove eggs
- A doctor or gynecologist may prescribe medication or use OTC medicine to remove the lice and their eggs
- If the lice remain, you may need to repeat use or medication 7-10 days after previous use
What are the problems from pubic lice?
- uncomfortable from itching
- insects such blood from host
- easy to transmit
- female louse survives ~25-30 days and can lay 20-30 eggs
- lice can live outside of the body for 1-2 days
- can take forever to get rid of if not properly diagnosed and treated
How do you prevent pubic lice?
- Properly killing lice and eggs by washing all bedding, towels, and clothing
- Check with a partner you will have sex with
- Check with any one you've had "done it" with for pubic lice
- Condoms cannot help very much, as they do not cover the entire pubic area