Dr. Douglas Otto Middle School - April 6, 2016
Spring is Here!
I am proud of the work you are doing this year and very pleased to serve as your principal. As we head into the end of the year, let's do everything we can to take good care of each other as we help our students finish strong!
Instructional Focus - BLAST Program
Please make sure you are engaging your students from bell to bell, and that you are regularly following campus procedures for tardies, passes, and electronic devices. By providing consistency and structure, our students will thrive.
We are finished with the first round of testing, but more test administrations remain. We must do well on all of our assessments this year. Thanks in advance for your conscientious attention to your lessons, planning, and attendance to ensure our students are prepared to do their very best.
Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System (T-TESS)
The new teacher evaluation system will be in place for the coming year. Please make sure you are reading the updates as I send them to you from our Human Resources Department.
Zeshan Khan - March Staff Member of the Month
- Zeshan is always working hard with his students to make sure that they are performing well in the classroom. He is always in the halls in between classes interacting with the students and all of his students love him!
- Zeshan is so nice and has a positive outlook. He is flexible and a problem solver. Besides that he has a great rapport with the students. We are lucky to have him on our team.
- Z is striving to bring the best with our students and staff.
- Zeshan is so kind and such a great colleague. He is never stressed-never! He always has a plan, acts professional but is also really great with his students. His kids love him! They are locked in and attentive to him plus he is always trying to find cool ways to make learning more fun.
- Zeshan is an effective Team Leader, always professional and level as he works with his team to ensure the needs of his teachers and students are being met.
Wonderful work, Zeshan! You are an amazing asset to the wonderful staff of Otto Middle School. Keep up the great work you are doing to support your students and team.
Vanessa Chavez - Experienced Teacher of the Year
I am pleased to present Vanessa Chavez as Otto Middle School’s Teacher of the Year. Mrs. Chavez is a dynamic educator who has the utmost passion for Choral Music. Vanessa’s great zeal for music is unique as she most effectively ignites the same passion in her students and is recognized in the community as a very special teacher.
The passion Mrs. Chavez has for Choral Music is evident to everyone who visits her classroom. Students absolutely adore Mrs. Chavez as she teaches with great enthusiasm and skill. Vanessa’s choirs consistently perform with great confidence and, due to Mrs. Chavez’ expertise, demonstrate a musical ability far beyond their years. Parents routinely send comments to me about what a wonderful teacher Vanessa is along with praise for her exceptional performances.
Mrs. Chavez is the only Choir Teacher Otto has known, and Vanessa has worked tirelessly to build the program into the wonderful organization it is today. Aside from the numerous concerts presented on campus, our choirs also perform in the community and present a Choral Open House each year for community members to visit the campus to observe our choirs in action. As her ensembles have been selected as a Performance Choir for the National Conference for Choral Music, Mrs. Chavez’ achievement as an educator is noticed beyond the boundaries of Plano ISD.
Vanessa’s work has created a Choral Program that is a beacon in the community and represents everything we embody as Otto Bobcats.
Courtney Langdon - New Teacher of the Year
We are very proud of our New Teacher of the Year, Courtney Langdon. Working with us last year as a long-term substitute, Courtney has been a true "Bobcat" from the very beginning. Always positive and highly professional, Courtney is constantly looking for ways to be more involved in the Otto Community. I am pleased and very grateful that Courtney will serve as co-sponsor of our Cheerleader Squad next year.
Some comments about Courtney from staff members:
- Courtney has gotten very involved in tutorials and has a great desire to help kids.
- Courtney has joined Otto with the knowledge, management, and skill set of a veteran teacher.
- Courtney is very organized and relates to her students in a positive way.
- Courtney has such a positive classroom environment. The kids love her and are excited to be in her class. She takes care to make each student feel recognized and accepted in her classroom.
Congratulations, Courtney! You are doing an amazing job and we are all very proud of you!