OCTOBER PARENT NEWSLETTER
- 1:Choir at MHS 9:00-10:40 a.m.
- 1:Cross Country @ Nike South
- 4:7th Football home game 4:30, 5:30, 6:30
- 7:Volleyball home game 4:30, 5:30
- 7:Choir Concert at MHS 7:00
- 7:Bear Fast Pass given out to students today
- 8: School Holiday
- 9:Cross Country at Magnolia HS
- 11:School Holiday
- 12:7th grade girls spinal screening
- 13:8th grade boys spinal screening
- 13:Band pictures
- 13:8 football home game 4:30, 5:30, 6:30
- 14:PTO Meeting 8:45 MJH Cafeteria
- 15:Choir at Main Event 5:30-8:30
- 18:7th grade home football game 4:30, 5:30, 6:30
- 18:World Bullying Prevention Month - Wear Blue
- 20:Fall picture retakes
- 20:Unity Day - Wear Orange
- 20:Virtual parent Digital Citizenship Workshop - info sent out in Oct.
- 21:Volleyball home game 4:30, 5:30
- 21:Boys Choir night @ MHS 3-6 p.m.
- 23:Design day for Theater play
- 23:7th SS - Scavenger Hunt project handed out
- 25:Red Ribbon Spirit Week - Theme Dress Up Days! TBA
- 26:Choir-Opera trip 3-10 p.m.
- 26:8th Home football game 4:30, 5:30, 6:30
- 27:1st Pep Rally
- 27:7th grade Vision-Hearing Screening
- 28:Volleyball at OHJH 4:30, 5:30
- 28:Choir Solo contest at MHS 3-7 p.m.
- 29:7/8 grade Dance 6:00-8:00 p.m.
A Note from our administration
Happy October! It's hard to believe October is already here. We are off and running and the students are settling well into their routines. At MJH, our staff is a firm believer in the power of the growth mindset, and we approach each year with the belief that ALL students are capable of learning and growing. What is a growth mindset? Simply put, it is the belief that intelligence and ability are not fixed traits or that we are born with only so much of them. We believe that with effort and perseverance, ALL students are capable of academic achievement. So, we need your help at home instilling this in our kids. We are asking families to be mindful of where your students start and how they progress over time. We believe, continual progress, however incremental, is to be valued.
Here are some things you can do to extend and promote a growth mindset in your home:
- Encourage your child to take risks and tackle new challenges at school.
- Praise your child, not for the ease with which he or she learns a concept, but for the amount of effort put into learning it.
- Continue to reach out to your child's teacher about questions or concerns your child may have in their class so we can work together to help them be successful learners.
- Emphasize perseverance and effort in extracurricular activities. For example, "I'm proud of how much effort you put into the basketball game" instead of "I'm proud of how many points you scored in that basketball game."
Thank you for joining us on this growth-mindset journey. We can not do it without your partnership.
A Note from our Counselors
PSAT: On Wednesday, November 12, the PSAT 8/9 test will be offered at Montgomery Jr. High School. Any 8th grade student may participate in this optional testing opportunity, and the fee to take this test is $20.00. Test registration and payment options are available through MySchoolBucks from October 1-October 10, 2021. (MySchoolBucks:https://www.myschoolbucks.com)
GT TESTING: The deadline for parent referrals for the Gifted and Talented (GT) program is October 22, 2021. You can find the forms on the MISD website under the Gifted and Talented tab. You can also reach the forms by going to this link: https://www.misd.org/departments/gifted_and_talented. Please turn in all forms to Mrs. Stewart by October 22, 2021. Additionally, if you have any questions, you can e-mail Mrs. Stewart at Tressie.Stewart@misd.org
Barbara Gagliano: 6th grade
Lesa Dunbar: 7th Grade
Tressie Stewart: 8th grade
A Note from the Librarian:
Book clubs will meet Friday, Oct. 15 during all lunches.
The Harry Potter club will meet Wed., Oct 27 after school 2:40-3:30.
Shelley Smith, MJH Librarian
Sheila Gagliano, MJH Library Assistant
Follow the MISD libraries on Twitter: @MISD_Libraries
A Note from our Nurse:
Montgomery Junior High School will be conducting spinal screenings Oct. 12, 2020 for 7th grade GIRLS and Oct. 13, 2020 for 8th grade BOYS. The purpose of spinal screening is to detect signs of abnormal curves of the spine at their earliest stages so that the need for treatment can be determined.
The procedure for screening is simple. Screeners, who have been specially trained, will look at your child’s back at several angles while he/she stands and then bends forward. For this examination, boys and girls will be seen separately and individually with the screener. STUDENTS SHOULD WEAR A TIGHT FITTING SHIRT ON THESE DAYS AND GIRLS MAY CHOOSE TO WEAR A CAMI, TANK TOP OR SPORTS BRA UNDERNEATH THEIR SHIRT.
Parents will be notified of the results of the screening only if professional follow up is suggested. This screening procedure does not replace your child’s need for regular health care and check-ups.
If your child is already under the care of a doctor for one of the above-mentioned spinal issues, you must submit a signed letter from the doctor by October 12th. If, for religious reasons, you do not wish to have your child screened, you are to submit an original notarized affidavit of religious exemption to the nurse no later than October 12th. This form can be located by visiting this website: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/layouts/contentpage.aspx?pageid=29812&id=2584&terms=scoliosis+exemption+forms
Feel free to contact the school nurse directly with any questions or concerns.
STOPit APP FOR STUDENTS
RED RIBBON SPIRIT WEEK - OCT. 25-29
Say BOO to Drugs!
There are fun days ahead for our annual Red Ribbon Spirit Week! Each day we will have a dress up theme. Our Pep Rally will be Wednesday, Oct. 27 so the student body will compete on which grade level has the most spirit that day. We will also have a day that week that students can wear their Halloween costume and compete for most creative costume at each lunch.
We support healthy, drug free kids!
MJH Sports Information:
JR HIGH ATHLETICS:
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volleyball/Track: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Golf: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tennis: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Girls Soccer: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Soccer: For questions, please contact email@example.com
Girls Athletics website: http://schools.misd.org/page/laurenhightower-mjhgirlsathletics
Boys Athletics website: http://schools.misd.org/page/GregFaigle-MJH%20Boys%20Athletics
Congratulations to our August Staff Member of the Month - 7th ELA Teacher, Mrs. Tanya Gardner
Congratulation to our August student "Rockstars"!
MJH offers a limited number of business or personal yearbook ads in 3 different sizes.
3x3 for $25/Half Page for $125/Full Page $200
If you would like to buy an ad, please send cash or check or check made out to MJH Yearbook to Ms. Krause. Please include the following information: your child's name and grade and your e-mail address.
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
MJH STUDENT COUNCIL CELEBRATES DIFFERENT CULTURES THROUGHOUT THE YEAR!
Washington D.C./Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders!
Parents of 8th Graders! Enrollment is open for the June 2022 Washington DC/Williamsburg Trip!
The 8th Grade History Nerd Birds invite you and your student to join us in June 2022 as we travel to Washington DC/Williamsburg!
Plan on attending an information meeting on September 15, 5:30 pm, MJH Band Hall.For specific questions, email email@example.com
We have a parent lunch table now for parents to eat lunch with their student.
If students forget their lunch, we have a parent drop off table in the front foyer for you to drop off lunches. Please let your child know you have brought their lunch to school.
As a reminder, all breakfast and lunch this year is free of charge. Any extras, such as water, chips, treats, etc. will need to be purchased.
New Campus Meal Viewer and Cafeteria Charges
The Child Nutrition Department has moved to a new website to display menus for students and parents. The website it MealViewer, here is the link - https://schools.mealviewer.com/district/Montgomery%20ISD,%20TX
Parents can set accounts for students to alert them when their favorite meals are being served in the cafeteria, what foods contain their students’ allergens, and so much more!!
MISD has an easy online way for you to keep your child’s account. Go to the MISD webpage and click on the left tab “Child Nutrition Info”. Then click “MySchoolBucks.com.”
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
MISD CHILD NUTRITION - WALKATHON FOR HUNGER - OCT. 16
MJH Parent/Student Handbook
The Parent-Student Handbook will be available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Forms such as Release of Picture/Directory Information, Medication for the Nurse, Change of Address/Phone Number, and Technology Agreement are found at the back of the Handbook.
We ask that you make every effort to request transportation changes prior to 1:30 p.m. in order for us to be certain that your student leaves in the correct manner. You may make changes by:
1. Sending a note with your child;
2. Faxing with a photo of your I.D. to 936-276-3301. Please include your student’s first & last name on any change. Emails or texts to teachers, phone calls to the front desk, and student-relayed messages are not requests that we honor for safety reasons.
· MJH CAR RIDER LINE/BUS POLICY
Due to the continued growth of MISD, we will no longer allow extra riders to ride the bus routes. Only registered riders will be allowed on the bus routes. We highly encourage students to car-pool to school due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking during the morning hours.
Join Our MJH PTO
Please join our PTO. The membership form is online on the MJH PTO website at the link below.
- Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page as well. https://www.mjhpto.com
- PTO meeting 8:45 in the cafeteria 10/14
- Boo bag sales every Friday with bags being distributed on 10/29
- Mum sales every Friday to be distributed on 10/21
- Fall Dance ticket sales (10/25-10/29 at lunch)
- Candy and drink drive (10/25-10/27) at morning and afternoon car rider line
- Fall Dance 10/29
- Chick Fil A spirit night on 10/18
- Weekly spirit wear sales on campus every Friday and at football games
* We need volunteers to help out with this
Below are the links for all of our current sign ups.Fall Dance- Back to the Future
Fall Dance- Back to the Future
Let's celebrate our students with a fun fall dance! Our theme is a Glow Party. a DJ, pizza and candy make for an...
WHO WILL YOU BOO? We will once again sell Boo Bags for the kids to puchase at lunch on Fridays. Kids can surpri...
- STUDENT PURCHASES AT LUNCH ON FRIDAY:
- Spirit wear is sold on campus every Friday and at all home football games.
- Homecoming mum and garter sold on Friday at lunch for $25.00 this Friday at lunch. After the 13th, price will be $30.00.
- Boo Bags are sold for $3.00 and delivered on Oct. 29. You can also purchase online at MJH PTO website.
Montgomery Junior High School
Home of the Bears: #TogetherWeWill
To see all the great things happening at MJH
Follow us on Twitter @mjhsbears and Instagram (mjhsbears)
Follow our PTO on Facebook @ PTO Montgomery Junior High