From the Otselic Valley Central School Health Office
Staying safe and healthy at O V
For your convenience and to help our many new families, please review this short summary of Otselic Valley COVID safety standards. They will help us repeat last year's achievement: contact tracing showed that NO cases were transmitted in our school last year. Thank you for helping us keep it that way!
Official COVID-related guidance from county departments of health and the New York State Education Department are subject to change, and we will update families and the community accordingly.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS & CAREGIVERS
1. Please do NOT send your child to school if they show any of the COVID-19 symptoms listed below. If students come to school with even one COVID symptom, they will be sent home and will be required to have a P C R COVID test (not a rapid antigen test, which isn't as reliable) or stay home for 10 days.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
2. Send your child to school with a clean, well-fitted mask for wear on the bus and in school. Face shields are not appropriate.
3. Send your child to school with a clean water bottle daily. The water fountains are still shut down, but a water bottle filler is available.
4. Leave personal items at home (stuffed animals, for example).
5. Don't overfill student backpacks because they won't fit in a locker.
6. Parents will NOT be required to fill out a daily health questionnaire this year.
For more information, see the Reopening Plan published on our website (subject to updates).
COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS AT OTSELIC VALLEY
- Daily cleaning by our custodial staff using COVID-19 best practices will remain in place.
- Water fountains remain closed although water bottle fillers are available for staff and students.
- Most staff are fully vaccinated; unvaccinated staff will take a COVID-19 PCR test weekly.
- Student seating on the buses and in the cafeteria will be assigned so "cohorts" (groups of students) will sit together regularly. Additionally, assigned seating in the cafeteria will arrange for distanced students to all face the same direction. This consistency will help us manage quarantines if they become necessary..
- Masks will be worn inside where social distancing isn't possible, but they can be removed for eating and when outside.
- Special masks made for musicians will be available to students in music classes.
For more information, see the Reopening Plan on our website (subject to updates).
ABOUT COVID-19 TESTING: PCR vs. Antigen testing
The Health Office would like to clarify the COVID testing requirements for Otselic Valley Central School. There are 2 different types of tests available: the antigen test (known as the rapid test), and the PCR test (known as the regular test). This link explains the differences between the tests.
If your child is showing COVID symptoms, we recommend you have them take the PCR test. You could do the rapid test but if it is negative and your child is still exhibiting COVID symptoms, you may be required to follow up with the PCR test to confirm the results. The rapid test is not as accurate as the PCR tests and many false results occur. Another issue related to this is insurance. Some insurances may not cover two tests, and it makes most sense to have the most accurate results for your child.
We know this is confusing. In short, if exhibiting COVID symptoms, take the PCR or regular test. If there are no symptoms, you may use the antigen or rapid test.
COVID-19 SYMPTOM LIST
Otselic Valley Central School
- Students are our first priority.
- Every student can learn.
- We hold high expectations for all.
- We cultivate creativity and innovation.
- We create a safe, engaging learning environment that nurtures the whole child.
- A partnership among students, staff, families, and community is necessary to achieve success.
- We support equitable opportunity for everyone.
- Everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
- We foster good citizenship and public service.