News from the Dutch Fork High School Media Center
Resolve to increase rigor with a research project!
- Asking students to consider a recent controversial topic, then conduct research on the topic. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, hosted on scdiscus.org, has a comprehensive and categorized list.
- Requiring 3 more more sources in both digital and print formats.
- Asking students to think critically about what they're finding- who is the author? why are they qualified to write about this topic?
- Asking students to consider what they THINK they'll find before they start looking.
- Requiring students to evaluate and reflect on the sources found.
- Giving students plenty of time to conduct and absorb the research.
Final products can be anywhere from a paper to a mini-documentary.
Teens' Top 10: Young Adult Library Services Assocation
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
- Monument 14: Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne
- Earth Girl by Janet Edwards
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
- Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
- The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
Check Destiny to see if these are currently available in our library.
Thanks to our Teen Read Week participants!
...visited during the week.
Michaelynn enjoys hers.
Students used Kahoot! trivia on iPads to test their young adult book knowledge.
Please welcome Travis Nelson!
My name is Travis Nelson. I am a Graduate student at the University of South Carolina and I will be serving as an intern in the DF Media Center from now until the end of March. I'm here to learn and I'm here to serve so feel free to ask me to help out with any and all of your information needs.
Here are just a few of the things I can help with...
- Collaborative lessons
- Information literacy and research skills
- Resource lists
- Reader Advisory
Just swing by the media center or contact my on-site supervisor Jennifer Collins if there is anything I can help out with.
Thanks to our orientation participants!
DFHS community book club
Thursday, February 12th
DFHS media center
The book will be Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride.
Summary from Amazon:
Sam may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.