Carver Middle School Newsletter
November 1, 2020
Words can't express how proud I am of our students and staff after the first grading period. We have witnessed and unbelievable resilience for our students and teachers during a period uncertainty and we made learning happen! I look forward to even higher production from the Carver family as we welcome students back into the building in about one week.
As a reminder, parent-teacher conferences are scheduled tomorrow, Monday, November 2, 2020 from 11 am-7 pm. Students do not have school Monday or Tuesday this week because of parent-teacher conferences and Election Day Tuesday. Please use this link to access the meetings that you signed up for with your child's teachers. If you were unable to sign up for a meeting on PTCfast.com, please reach out to your teacher(s) directly and they will establish an alternate time to meet with you about your student.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Spirit Week activities! We had a great time and it was awesome to see our students enjoying themselves while learning throughout the week.
Thank you for your support and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Sr., Ed.D.
G.W. Carver Middle School
Return to school November 9!!!
All students will participate in synchronous instruction rather they attend school virtually or in the school building. In person students will attend school according to the following schedule:
Student Last Names:
A-K: Monday & Tuesday
L-Z: Thursday & Friday
Wednesday's will be asynchronous learning days. Students will check in with students and direct learning activities. Students will participate in independent learning opportunities. Wednesday's will be used for sanitizing the building and for professional development with teachers.
Hybrid Bell Schedule Beginning Second Nine Weeks
Beginning November 4, 2020
HYBRID NO PAWS TIME Bell Schedule Warning Bell 7:30 a.m.
PERIOD START TIME END TIME
1st: 7:35 a.m.-9:01 a.m.
2nd: 9:05 a.m.-10:29 a.m.
3rd: 10:33 a.m.-12:32 p.m.
30 minutes have been added to 3rd block to account for lunch
4th: 12:36 p.m. 2:00 p.m.
Carver is having a BOOK FAIR!!!! Please use the link below to access your favorite titles and authors!
Please use the link below to access some of your favorites:
You are able to shop online from home and purchase some of your book fair favorites. You'll find the newest Diary of the Wimpy Kid, graphic novels, romances, mysteries, sports books, and so much more. Books will be safely shipped to you at home, so you never have to leave the comfort of your pajamas and slippers.
Oct. 25-Oct. 30- School Spirit Week!
Oct. 25-Nov. 8- Virtual Book Fair
Oct. 30- End of the First Marking Period
Nov. 2-Parent-Teacher Conferences-11 am-7 pm. No School
Nov. 3- Election Day- No School
Nov. 5 & 6- Asynchronous learning days
Nov. 9- Cohort 4 Students are scheduled to return to school
Alpha Pioneers Academy Mentoring Program!
The Alpha Pioneers Academy is Back! If you have a student(s) who is interested in participating in a male mentoring program with the Chesterfield Alumni Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., please join us for a brief interest meeting Saturday November 7, 2020 at 3 pm on Zoom.
Anthony McLaurin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. This is our second year of a very successful program and we look forward to taking it to the next level. We hope to see you there!
Topic: Carver MS-Alpha Pioneers Zoom Meeting
Time: Nov 7, 2020 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 994 9271 7537
Carver Library! Updates from Mrs. Fontana!
Carver Curbside Library: Students can preorder library books for checkout by going to the Carver Library Canvas page and clicking the PINK paw. Follow the directions to search our books and put one or two books on hold for checkout. A librarian will check books out for the student, and have them packaged for curbside pickup outside door #6 on the bus loop side of the building on Wednesdays from 9:00-1:00. Look for the tent to pick up your books. It's very simple to check out new books and/or return any old books, even though you can't actually visit the library yet. Keep the pages turning and escape with a great book from our Carver library!
ALL LIBRARY BOOKS FROM LAST YEAR SHOULD BE RETURNED TO SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. BOOKS CAN BE DROPPED OFF AT DOOR #6 ON WEDNESDAYS BETWEEN 9:00 AND 1:00 AT THE CURBSIDE TENT OR IN THE MAIN OFFICE DURING REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Pledge of Allegiance Live Stream Link!
Please be sure to share the link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live stream link daily at 7:35 am!
Carver Attendance Line
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Welcome to Mrs. Cathy Whitaker our new School Counseling Coordinator! Please see below for your Counselor's contact information. Sixth grade students are assigned counselors based on last name. Please complete the Carver Schedule Request Form if your child's schedule needs to be adjusted and the appropriate counselor will contact you ASAP.
Mrs. Redding A - Kemail@example.com
Mrs. Whitaker L - Zfirstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Cunningham- email@example.com
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Get a library card over the phone!
Check out this exciting information from the Chesterfield County Public Library!
This will give you access to so many more ebook titles!
Self-Care During COVID-19
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!