RMS Weekly Event Calendar
August 22 - 26
What's going on this week!
It was an incredible week at Russellville Middle School! Back-to-School Parent Night was a huge success. We had numerous parents and grandparents who attended and enjoyed meeting and talking with you. Thank you for attending and all the work you put into making it a great night for your students and parents! I know our parents appreciated it very much.
RMS Volleyball kicks off this week with a season opener against Haleyville on Thursday night. Our volleyball girls would love to see you come watch them play and support them as they work towards a win!
One of our focuses for this school year is not only helping students grow academically, but also personally. We are all working together to help our students mature into outstanding young men and women both inside and outside of the classroom. If you read the quote above, I believe it sums up what we are trying to teach our students. As we work hard to "educate the mind", we must also work equally as hard to "educate the heart".
Last week I had the pleasure of witnessing one of the most powerful things I have ever seen that demonstrated "educating the heart". On Tuesday night as the 7th grade football game was coming to a close, I watched as Israel Montiel entered the game and scored a touchdown. As I stood and applauded this amazing event, I thought of the coaches and players that made this possible. Their thoughts were not on which team won the game or how many points were scored, but rather on making the dream of a child come true. I think of the lessons that were learned on that field on Tuesday night and how that experience taught students that at the end of the day, it is not whether we win or lose, but what we are able to give to others. I commend the football coaching staff at Russellville Middle School for the character they instill in our students each day. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from parents on the character/mentoring lessons you are teaching each day and I encourage you to continue to promote character through these lessons.
I have also enjoyed observing your classrooms and I am seeing great things going on. I am excited to see students engaged in learning activities and working together in solving problems. Our students are enjoying being back in the classroom and all the fun and engaging learning activities that you are providing for them. Keep up the great work!!
Have a great week of teaching and learning at Russellville Middle School!
7th grade students were engaged in "Beetle Races" in Ms. Bradley's life science class. This activity not only included science objectives but also math as students will be responsible for calculating and graphing their results.
Teaming It Up
Mrs. Smith's students were teaming up to list words that could be integrated into a reading assignment.
Using Technology for Learning
Students in Coach Gober's classroom were using their tablets to conduct research on historical topics and discuss their findings.
Teaming It Up
Monday, August 22
- Carter Ledgewood with American Fidelity Insurance will be here to sign for your group insurance and/or make changes to existing coverages. If you did not go to the benefits fair, you will need to make plans to see him during your planning time.
- Faculty Meeting - Location to be determined - Immediately after school. Please bring a pen/pencil to vote on the state budgets.
- Beginning Instrument Meeting - Band Room - 6:00 p.m. - This meeting is for beginning band students and Gadsden Music to obtain their band instruments.
Tuesday, August 23
- No known activities
Wednesday, August 24
- No known activities.
Thursday, August 25
- Fundraiser Meetings - 8th grade - 1st period, 7th grade - 2nd period, 6th grade - 3rd period.
- RCS Board Meeting - Central Office - 3:30 p.m.
- RMS Volleyball vs. Haleyville - Away - 7th grade @ 4:30 p.m. & 8th grade @ 5:30 p.m.
Friday, August 26
- RHS Football vs. Deshler - Home - 7:00 p.m.