WHES Beaver Lodge
WHES WEEKLY MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS - Week of May 3rd
Teacher Appreciation Week
We are SO excited to celebrate our teachers and instructional support staff this week during Teacher Appreciation Week! We would love to get you involved in our efforts to make sure ALL our teachers and instructional assistants know they are LOVED and APPRECIATED!
MEANINGFUL MONDAY: Write a card or send an email to your teacher to let them know how grateful you are for them! (Drop off any physical cards to the school by 2pm on Tuesday)
TERRIFIC TUESDAY: Let your teacher know how terrific they are with a small gift or gift card (Drop off any physical gifts or gift cards by 2pm on Tuesday)
WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY: Click on the links below to record a brief video for all the teachers and IAs that your child works with. What do you love or appreciate most about them? (Submit all videos by Wednesday night!)
THANKFUL THURSDAY: Give your teacher/IA a big "Thank you!" during class today!
FACEBOOK FRIDAY: Use social media to give a positive shout out to your teacher. If you do not have social media…no worries. You can spread the love by sending an email to Superintendent Kamras so that your shout-out can be featured in the RPS Direct!
Log into your students RPS google account or use “Westover” as the guest password.
If your child or a child in your care needs additional help processing the recent shooting – or any other trauma – please contact your school's counselor and/or social worker or one of the following community organizations we partner with.
- CReST is a resource for youth, ages 5-18, who are in crisis and need help avoiding psychiatric hospitalization. With quick response and assistance connecting to on-going services, CReST works to reduce the cycles of crises and prevent the need for more intense care.
- CReST staff work with the youth and families/caregivers to triage and problem solve the crisis at hand; identify on-going treatment needs; link youth and family to community providers; and provide community based counseling.
- Call the referral line at (833) 968-1800 and be prepared to provide your contact information, relationship, youth & family contact information and a brief description of the crisis situation.
- Immediate Response team is available 24/7, 365 days per year to respond to children ages 2 -17 experiencing trauma and/or a mental health crisis. We can offer support over the phone or meet you on scene within 30 miles of our Richmond location. Call now at (804) 305-2420.
- Please give us a call if your child, or a child in your care, is experiencing a mental health crisis or a traumatic event.
- Examples of crisis can include: Exposure to violence in the home or community; accident in a vehicle or home resulting in serious injury or loss; sexual, physical, psychological, or emotional abuse; loss of a loved one through death, separation/divorce, or incarceration; neglect; intense anxiety or depression as evidenced by isolation or verbal aggression; speaking about death daily; self-harms or threatens others; inappropriate touching of themselves or others; behavior changes such as bedwetting, neglect of hygiene, insomnia, or eating habits; runs away or attempts to run away; and displacement in school environment.
Please also consult the Guidance for Talking with Children About Violence from the National Association of School Psychologists (printed in full below the shout-outs).
If you would like to help with the event, please use this form to provide your contact information and details of the gift(s) you are offering to support this meal being organized by Nyiaka James. The meal will be served at Belt Atlantic apartments on May 8th, 2021 from 2-6 pm.
If you would like to offer the gift of money toward this meal you can do that by sending what you can to cashapp $Shyislandplates.
**All students should complete 45 minutes daily of iReady (or 2 lessons per week).**
Congratulations to our iReady Challenge Raffle winners for the past 2 weeks!
K-2: Nolan Clark
3-5: Hazel Lucyshyn
We’ll drop off your scooters early this week donated by St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church!
May 1- 29 - WIDA (Saturdays)
May 3 - May 7- Grade 5 Writing Assessment
May 10 - June 4 - PALS K-2
May 17 - May 21 - Grade 3 Science PBA
Due May 23 - Grade 4 VA Studies PBA
May 4 & 5- Reading
May 10 & 11 - Math
May 3 & 4 - Reading
May 10 & 11 - Math
May 6 & 7 - Reading
May 12 & 13 - Math
Math: 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
Reading: 3:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Math: 1:00 - 1:30 p.m.
Reading: 3:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Math: 1:30 - 2:00 p.m.
Reading: 2:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Weekly Student Checklists
Week of May 3rd
2021 RPS Virtual Tutoring Program
RPS will offer flexible virtual tutoring options for students in grades kindergarten-8 at no cost to RPS families!
Families can pick from times before and after school to be paired with an RPS teacher for reading and math tutoring. All tutors are certified RPS teachers including LIEP and Exceptional Education teachers.
For more information, please visit: https://www.rvaschools.net/Page/8256.
Summer School 2021
2021 Summer Session – We're excited to offer a variety of free, in-person programs for RPS students this summer! For grades PK-8, our theme is "Summer Learning Olympics," with special activities to learn about countries all over the world in celebration of the Summer Olympics in Japan. Each summer school site even has an Olympics-themed name - check them out!
- Broad Rock ES - Southside Summer Superstars
- Chimborazo ES - Team TORCH (Taking Our Resilient Children Higher!)
- George W. Carver ES - Marathon Learners
- J.B. Fisher ES - Team High Achievers
- J.H. Blackwell ES - DREAM (Dedication, Responsibility, Engagement, Achievement & Motivation) Team
- Overby-Sheppard ES - CHAMPS (Children Having Ambition, Motivation, Perseverance & Swagger)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. MS - Champions
- Richmond Technical Center - Team Finish Line
- River City MS - Southside Sprinters (Sprinting Toward Achievement)
The PK-8 summer program is designed for students with unfinished learned from this past year. Families of these students will receive a communication from RPS (if they haven't already) with additional information. The five-week session will run from July 12 - August 13. Please note that Monday - Thursday will be fully in-person, and Friday will consist of virtual field trips and activities.
For high school students, we have five different pathways to meet students' unique needs. To get all the details, just click here!
Summer school letters were mailed to students on the summer school list Wednesday, April 28th.
DATES TO REMEMBER
May 31 - School Closed for Students and Staff
WHES UPCOMING EVENTS
The Lit Limo
Use our #StrongerTogether Google Classroom link.
Picture Day - May 3rd & 4th- 2:00-6:00 PM
STEP 1- SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT:
Please review the available appointment times below. Click on the Sign Up button to choose a slot. Click Submit and Sign Up at the bottom of the page.
STEP 2- ORDER YOUR PICTURES:
Click on the following link to order the picture package and custom options you want:
After placing your order, please print your order confirmation and bring it with you to your scheduled appointment!
Strawbridge Studios Inc. has a contactless COVID-19 picture day process. For more information, please visit our website at www.strawbridge.net
PASO 1- PROGRAME SU CITA:
Revise los horarios de citas disponibles a continuación. Haga clic en el botón Registrarse para elegir un espacio. Haga clic en Enviar y registrarse en la parte inferior de la página.
PASO 2- PIDE TUS FOTOS:
Haga clic en el siguiente enlace para solicitar el paquete de imágenes y las opciones personalizadas que desee.
Después de realizar su pedido, imprima la confirmación de su pedido y tráigala a la cita programada.
Strawbridge Studios Inc. tiene un día de fotos sin ningun contacto por la situación de COVID-19. Para obtener más información, visite nuestro sitio web en www.strawbridge.net
WHES Family Financial Literacy Game Night! (rescheduled!)
Wednesday, May 12th, 6pm
This is an online event.
Topic: WHES Family Financial Literacy Game Night
Time: May 12, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 984 1521 9213
Virtual Career Week
Thank you for sharing your careers with us during our Virtual Career Showcase!!
Mrs. Kristen Livingston
Mr. Lakenneth Kindred
Mrs. Jody Lyle
Mr. Michael Phillips
Mr. Tom Jones
Ms. Debbie Powers
Rev. Keith Johnston
Weekly School Counselor Virtual Open Office Hours
Mondays - 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Thursdays - 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
School Counselor Google Meet Link:
Breakfast Club - Tuesdays & Wednesdays
K, 1, & 2 - Tuesdays - 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
3, 4, & 5 - Wednesdays - 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
5th Grade Lunch Chat & Chill - Every Friday
12:30 to 1:00 p.m.
Happy Birthday to the following Beavers!
WHES Beaver Boosters
Please send photos of your child engaging in virtual learning or send any fun photos from this school year to email@example.com or text 804-944-6353. Photos can also be sent to your child's homeroom teacher.
Tuesday, May 11th
Blackwell Elementary School
2:30 pm-4:30 pm
Huguenot High School
2:30 pm-4:30 pm